Cng Tank Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cng Tank Removal

Hi im new to this website a friend recommended i come on here for my question :

well i have a 1999 Chevy Cavalier with a cng tank in the trunk. Now the tank is empty and everthing so i dont use it but i just wanted to know is it possible for me to take that tank out of my trunk with no problems. i got the car as a hook up from a family member. He told me that all i have to do is unbolt the tank and cap the line in the trunk. Idk how true this is but i really like to know how to remove it . i need the space for school im doing mobile installation and fabrication so i need that space.

Any Thoughts will be nice thank u

Re: Cng Tank Removal

Hello solo88,

...never assume. We just finished a job 'decommissioning' 450 CNG cylinders and even tho' we're 'experts' there were a coupla' of surprises! These had electronic cylinder valves and if you do too, they can be tricky.

Can you tell us more about the cylinders? As I recall GM used mostly PST with the same electronic valves. If this is the case there is a tool that will manually over-ride the solenoid valve and assure that the cylinder is empty.

Send pictures? We'll try to help any way we can.

Best regards,

afvman/Bill

Comment

ok but i dont even know where to begin with pictures i mean there is an switch that turns the cylinder on but its empty i can see the bolts and all and i feel two skinny pipes on that are connected to the cylinder i mean idk where else to look i just want it gone

Comment

Don't assume the cylinder is empty. There is a minimum of 200 to 600 psi of CNG in the tank depending on how the car was being driven when the last fuel changeover occurred. There is a de-fueling kit with special hoses and both an electrical way and a mechanical way to vent the tank. If you go the mechanical way, you destroy the valve and any value left in the tank. Hopefully, someone in your area is interested in the tank and has a way to help you remove it. DONT TRY THIS UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Comment

solo88,

Here's the name of a certified CNG fuel system inspector in your area;

Robert (Bob) Turan
          Air and Gas Technologies
          1632 Richmond Terrace
          Staten Island NY 10310
          917.797.8246 cell
          [email protected]

Give Bob a call and tell him I threw his name under the bus. He may be your best bet to get some help. He may even want to buy the cylinder!

'Everyone goes home safe.'

afvman/Bill

Comment

thanks imma try that number and trust me i wasnt gonna do it on my own i was gonna take it to a shop to have this done thanks for the insights

Comment

You might want to sell the car as it has some value to natural gas vehicle enthusiasts. I would guess you could get enough out of it to buy a new gasoline car. What is the year, miles, condition? Post photos perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
                You might want to sell the car as it has some value to natural gas vehicle enthusiasts. I would guess you could get enough out of it to buy a new gasoline car. What is the year, miles, condition? Post photos perhaps?
                I agree with John, the fact that your car is CNG adds value to it, if you take the tank away it reduces the value. Someone else might want to replace the tank (once the 15 years is up) and use it.

Comment

Working...
                X