Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM to offer trucks using natural gas

From Automotive News 3/29/10

ST. LOUIS -- General Motors Co. plans to offer full-sized trucks powered by compressed natural gas.

Van, pickup and chassis cab models are expected to be available in about two years.

"A number of fleet operators want to present a green presence to the public," said Rick Spina, the vehicle line executive who oversees GM's full-sized trucks.

"They want to be known as green companies," especially those on the retail side, Spina said here this month at the National Truck Equipment Association's Work Truck Show....

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0jg1y7ATp

Re: GM to offer trucks using natural gas

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
    From Automotive News 3/29/10

ST. LOUIS -- General Motors Co. plans to offer full-sized trucks powered by compressed natural gas.

Van, pickup and chassis cab models are expected to be available in about two years.

"A number of fleet operators want to present a green presence to the public," said Rick Spina, the vehicle line executive who oversees GM's full-sized trucks.

"They want to be known as green companies," especially those on the retail side, Spina said here this month at the National Truck Equipment Association's Work Truck Show....

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0jg1y7ATp

I wonder how Bay Tech will like that???

Comment

I'd bet money Bay Tech or John will do the work for GM if they go ahead. If GM is willing to proceed, I'd also bet some fat GSA alt fuel vehicle contracts are on the horizon.

On the other end , Fleet Ford sells Gas Fuel prep vehicles to BAF and Roush , and the up-fitter becomes the vehicle manufacturer. The vehicles are still serviced at Ford dealers. The up-fitter provides ALL warranty coverage, and back charges Ford for warranty work un-related to the alt fuel system.

Fleet Ford lost so much money and customer confidence on the propane / cng vehicle program, they never ever want to be responcible for warranty and liability.

Comment

I personally will never by a GMC vehicle again. I had an epa conversion done on an 07 chev 3/4 ton in wich it burnt the heads out at about 80k. GMC wouldn't warranty anything, and then tried to tripple the price on repairing it. Thank goodness for the great team at Semi Service. They stepped up to the plate with Impco and helped take care of the problem. I will always go back to Semi Service for everything. I highly recomend Semi Service for everything CNG. The next truck I do will be a FORD for sure. I have been told that they will honor all warranties, even with LEGAL CNG kits on them. GM will not.

Comment

At the risk of getting off-topic, Ford's gaseous-fuel prepped engine program & vehicle and warranty requirements for CNG and LPG converters is attached. The converter must go thru some hoops in the lab to prove engine piston temperatures, etc. Here's to hoping we will see something similar from GM soon (we all miss the KL5 option for the 6L engines).
          Attached Files

Comment

My understanding is that GM discontinued the hardened valves several years ago. I wouldn't expect high milage from one of their engines. Perhaps a mechanic can jump in here to clarify the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Amfuel View Post
              My understanding is that GM discontinued the hardened valves several years ago. I wouldn't expect high milage from one of their engines. Perhaps a mechanic can jump in here to clarify the details.
              I work at a chevy dealer, we are not a ngv dealer but from all the cng classes I have taken it's my understanding that the trucks and cars that were sold at gm dealers all the cng parts were put on by IMPCO and they were just orderd with rpo code kl6 or kl8 dedicated of bi-fuel provisions. While GM dosen't offer a cng check box on the order form you can still order a KL5 cng/lpg ready engine that has hardend valves and maby a LEV lable. If im wrong someone correct me because I cant seem to find that artical.
              GM World Class, F1 Cert
              05 Crew cab 4X4 Silverado LS
              03 Cavalier
              01 Cavalier (sold)

Comment

GM's Joyce Mattman presented at the NGV America Summit in Boston recently. This presentation describes GM's view of natural gas vehicles and includes the upcoming CNG cargo van program which my company NaturalDrive is involved with (slide #10)
                http://www.cleanvehicle.org/conferen...ERALMOTORS.pdf

Not concrete info yet on GM's plans for re-starting a CNG truck program.

Comment

CNG express vans have been added to the main chevy web page, you can build our own 2500 wt reg wheel base for the added price of $15,885 for the cng package.
                  GM World Class, F1 Cert
                  05 Crew cab 4X4 Silverado LS
                  03 Cavalier
                  01 Cavalier (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Amfuel View Post
                    Even without that CNG-prepping package GM engines are well-known where I live as the best engines to work with CNG.

BTW Dodge could release some dedicated-CNG Ram versions using one of those Cummins-Westport engines...

Comment

Working...
                    X