Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 Cavalier, 20k mi., $10000...... really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Cavalier, 20k mi., $10000...... really?

So in my search for a 03-04 cavalier, I found an 03 with 20k mi with an asking price of $10,000. There's no way I would pay what they're asking, but I'm curious to hear opinions from more experienced CNGers as to a more fair value of the car. I already did a blue book price and it priced $2900-$3800 depending on Fair, Good, and Excellent. I have a hard time believing the bi-fuel capability increases the value of the vehicle by $6,000, and I'm sure there's dealer mark-up involved, but where would you suggest a fair middle ground or starting point for negotiations?

Re: 2003 Cavalier, 20k mi., $10000...... really?

I recently paid $8,000 for a 2003 with 15k miles---about $2,000 more then I should of paid. However, the car was flawless, with not even a chip in the paint or a door ding. When oil was at $147 a barrel, prices for Cavaliers were in this range. Oil is half that now, and CNG prices are on the rise. Therefore, prices of these vehicles should be stable or falling. In addition, they are aging which in itself should bring the prices down. That being said, I should think that a really nice Cavalier should be no more then six grand and one with high mileage, worn carpeting, sagging seats, body dings, some rust, etc. should be in the four to five thousand range. If you want to fix some of these items on a cheaper car, the parts and repair costs quickly bring you up to the price range of the better cars. I've played both ends of this and when you add the parts and the value of your time working on them you are better off going with the better vehicle. Just remember, even at $10K (and I am not recomending you go that route) you are paying less for a complete car then you would for an aftermarket conversion of a new car. Also, these cars hold their value well so over time, what is the cost per mile to drive one? True, its just a Cavalier but in the end all cars are just to get you from one point to another point. "Cash for Clunkers" really messed with the price and value of cars at these price points for all used vehicles. Do an E-bay search for regular Cavaliers and look at the prices and you will find in many cases you are paying little or no premium for the CNG car.

Comment

You made some good points. One other consideration; the "soft parts", hoses, belts, CV boots, brake system seals, etc, are all deteriorating. The car is stil old no matter how nice it look. But I was raised in the used car business and I have a different attitude.

Larrycng

Comment

The blue book value on a gasoline Cav has nothing to do with the price of the bi-fuel version. They're hard to find and so you have to weigh how much you want to keep looking vs. buying an unknown quantity at an auction (the usual source) vs. buying it now, low miles, good shape, extensive test drive and/or inspection, etc.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
          You made some good points. One other consideration; the "soft parts", hoses, belts, CV boots, brake system seals, etc, are all deteriorating. The car is stil old no matter how nice it look. But I was raised in the used car business and I have a different attitude.

Larrycng
          That's a very valid point, and one I explained to my wife when she told me it's basically a brand new car. Sure there's low mileage, but it's 7 years old and some parts wear with or without the car running. If it were an 09 or 2010 Cavalier with 20k I might understand the $10k price, but not when it's 7 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
            The blue book value on a gasoline Cav has nothing to do with the price of the bi-fuel version. They're hard to find and so you have to weigh how much you want to keep looking vs. buying an unknown quantity at an auction (the usual source) vs. buying it now, low miles, good shape, extensive test drive and/or inspection, etc.
            I wasn't necessarily trying to say the blue book of gasoline has a direct correlation to the price of the bi-fuel model, I was just logically reasoning that (at least to me, just my opinion here) the bi-fuel capability alone being 150% of the price of the same vehicle without bi-fuel capability seems a little irrational.

I appreciate everyone's input... the used car market can be quite a messy scene so it's beneficial for me to hear others' opinions.

Comment

The used car market is quite rational. The supply of dual fuel Cavaliers on the used car market right now is somewhere around one. They're asking $10k for a very low mileage 2003 car and I wouldn't be surprised if someone paid that for it. Obviously it won't be you, snoobies. There was a guy near me who had three of them a couple of years ago, low mileage and very clean, and he sold them for a lot more than $10k.
              02 GX
              01 GX
              03 Crown Vic
              06 GX
              Home Fueler

Comment

I have access to some dealer auctions. I thought I would see if I could find a CNG Cavalier (any year).

I just searched the Manheim dealer auctions for Cavaliers available

Total Cavaliers available 220
                Total CNG 0

I checked the GSA auctions coming up.

Total Chevys available 114
                Total bi-fuel Cavaliers 0

I checked the dealer auctions at Brasher's Auction Pipeline

Cavaliers available 117
                Bi-fuel Cavaliers 0

So there's not a great selection in the normal channels. When gasoline was $4/gallon I remember seeing the asking price on low miles 03-04 GSA Cavaliers around $18,000. I'm glad I was on the sidelines then. The 04 that I found had 100k miles on it and I've put another 10k or so on it in just under a year. I did have an injector go bad on me but I feel it's a much better system than the '98 - '02. Since it's so hard to find I expect to pay a premium.
                2004 Toyota Avalon bi-fuel
                2013 Tesla Model S 85

Comment

right, because the fleets have sold off most of their 03s and 04s by now, and the last bifuel cav was 04
                  02 GX
                  01 GX
                  03 Crown Vic
                  06 GX
                  Home Fueler

Comment

I have a navy blue 04 Bifuel put away with only 23,000 miles. Car is in new condition being kept in doors. For sale for the right price and 10k is way too low
                    Mario
                    AAA CNG SYSTEMS
                    CSA Certified CNG Cylinder & Fuel System Inspector

Comment

I paid $5500 for my fully optioned 03 cavy with 130k on it. Our local NG utlity still has one of there 40 cng cav's left and about 10 silverado's and one or two express vans.
                      GM World Class, F1 Cert
                      05 Crew cab 4X4 Silverado LS
                      03 Cavalier
                      01 Cavalier (sold)

Comment

ericguy320:

Can you post a link to for information on the NG utility vehicles for sale?

Thanks
                        '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
                        '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
                        FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

There not for sale yet and still in use , they auctioned off 30+ cavaliers a few years ago and are still using the 1 they have left.
                          GM World Class, F1 Cert
                          05 Crew cab 4X4 Silverado LS
                          03 Cavalier
                          01 Cavalier (sold)

Comment

Bottom line CNG vehicles have their own values, blue books should only be a guide to put you in the general area of value. And it all comes down to supply and demand. Demand is always high when fuel prices go up or when 85,000 Californians get kicked out of the carpool lane. Now funny enough I have been doing this long enough that I have seen a CNG system on a car hurt the value of the vehicle. Real example regular cavalier $3500 and like cavalier with CNG $3000. This is when gas was cheep (under $2/gallon) where the assumption is made no CNG would be ran through the vehicle and trunk space was given up, but more importantly was more things on the car to go wrong.The typical $500 depreciation was the cost to remove the CNG from the car. No joke this actually happen 2002-2005
                            sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
                            SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
                            2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
                            1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
                            2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

Originally posted by CNG MOTORS View Post
                              ...Now funny enough I have been doing this long enough that I have seen a CNG system on a car hurt the value of the vehicle. ...
                              Ditto... a second example: when I purchased a Govt converted '95 bifuel Sonoma pickup... I paid $4500 when the similar (without $10K of conversion) gas only versions were selling for at least a grand more
                              2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
                              Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
                              Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
                              Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Working...
                              X