Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECO CNG parts, where to find

Hello,
    This seems like a very strong group. I'm glad to have found it. I have a 2000 1500 silverado pickup. It has just over 100,000 miles. It is running the ECO stystem.

I have had the typical stalling at idle. Have had it in more times than I can count. Nothing fixes it. However, I was in the process of replacing heater hoses today when I noticed a fuel solenoid looking device to the right of the thottle body. The nut holding the coil in place was missing. Coil laying off of the stud. I have no idea, if this needs just a nut, or special washer and spring or? I need a new filler valve cap. I need someone the still works on these old systems in the Phoenix area.

ANY help on any of these issues would be most appreciated. Where can I find diagrams, manuals, parts, etc. ?? I'm told I can't even upgrade to a newer system by a dealer in town. I have to get a new vehicle. ? That is messed up. The system is still viable, so hate to throw it all away. It has a brand new computer in it as of 2 years go. 80% CNG use. So we USE this sucker and want to keep going. Thanks in advance.

Re: ECO CNG parts, where to find

If the coil is not already fried by being energized off of the valve , a nut and washer , with locktite or nylon core locknut will do . Usually a "Wavey washer " aka spring washer goes under the coil on the valve side. It may work ok without the washer.

Tighten it just enough to allow the coil to rotate with hand force. The locktite or a nyloncore locknut is needed because the coil will move a little each time it is energized.

Some coils will last a long time when engergized off a valve , some will burnout in just minutes in the same situation.

Can you post a photo ?
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 12-22-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Ahh wonderful!! I'll bet I have just the washer. Not even sure if it is metric or sae at this point. I have lots of sae stuff, but no metric, but it sounds like an easy fix IF not friedl

I will get one tomorrow in the daylight and post. About the time I got started, the wind started howling and it stared raining. So everything is all wet out there.

What does that valve do? Will it affect drive-ability like I suspect, or is that just a on off thing? What action will cause it to activate, so I know if it is fried?

Thanks for the response!!

Comment

I think I figured it out. Here is the module that is missing a nut. So what does this thing do?
        Attached Files

Comment

Well an update on my progress. The nut size is 3/8 X 24 if anyone is looking for a replacement.

It most certainly does affect drive-ability! I push the plunger in and it almost instantly dies. I put the coil on, and it is still alive. That is good news. I then put the nut on and finger tightened it. That left almost no play at all. So that means the plunger is pulled all the way out. So perhaps it uses a special thin nut? Didn't find a "spring washer" in my collection of stuff. With the nut finger tight I drove it around and it is running like a Swiss watch. So I don't know what the valve does, but with the plunger pulled out, it runs fine as of right now. Fingers crossed. Can anybody enlighten me?

So for others that are having stalling issues, this most definitely could be it! We could hardly drive this vehicle. It always wanted to stall when coming to a stop. I was only idling at about 350-400RPM. So we are looking forward to burning more CNG in the future.

Comment

It is a lock-off valve, a solenoid valve. They are used to controll the flow of gas. Sometimes they are separate like the picture, and other times they are built into another component. Some are designed for high pressure service, and some for low pressure service.

The stem that is connected to the rubber lines has a spring loaded valve, a pintal, inside the tube that is normally closed. The funny looking donut with the 2 wires is an electro magnet. When it is placed over the valve stem and magnet energized with 12 volts it will pull the pintal valve off its seat and allow gas to flow.

If you keep the two pieces together with the 3/8 X 24 nut and nothing else is wrong the car ought to run great. I've never seen a lock-off valve loose its nut. A little loctite should prevent the problem in the future.

Ain't CNG fun?

Have a great holidays using CNG

Larrycng

Comment

Thansk Larry! I am betting based on your response, that this may very well have been our problem for the last 2 years. Boy, that would be fantastic!! Since the shaft only sticks out just enough for one regular sized nut, if a guy wouldn't be better off getting two half thick nuts, and tighten the nuts up against each other. ?

Here is the potential trouble that I see. The shaft rotates. So if I put lock tite on, you'd never be able to remove it again, since it would just spin. I found that out trying to remove the nut with the coil energized. I could not remove the nut. the shaft just spins. hmm...

Now I just need a replacement rubber cap for the fill nozzle. The heat and sun rotted mine and it is now exposed to bugs and junk.

Comment

Glad to hear the truck is running ok now. Eco Fuel is still in business in Canada , Don't know if they will sell just the nut , without the valve and coil.
                if the thin nut aproach works, I don't see anything wrong with that route.

I.m sure if you send a p.m. to Lancer Automotive Group , Scott at Lancer would sell be able to ship a fuel recept. cover to you at a reasonable cost. I also see them on E-bay sometimes.

Comment

Check Lowes, Home Depot in the speciality fastner section, or maybe a good OLD FASHION hardware store for a "pal nut" (they are the thin ones). As cheap last chance, try one of the spring steel "speed nut"

Jut an alternative

Larrycng

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'll get two thin nuts, and do a lock nut idea and let it go for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                    X