99 Cavalier won't start on gasoline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Cavalier won't start on gasoline

Previously, I had a problem with car when it inexplicably stopped while running on gasoline. Had car towed home 100 miles. Several days later I attempted to start and it would cough and quit. Eventually, it cranked and ran. I changed fuel filter and had CNG tank filled. It ran fine on CNG but when it ran out I was driving home and the "check gages" light came on. When I pulled in the driveway I cut engine off and re-cranked and it appeared to be running on gasoline but I'm not totally sure it was. The next day, when I attempted to start the red light for CNG was on and car wouldn't start. I removed CNG fuse under the the hood and still no luck. I hear the fuel pump running. Now, i'm not sure what to check, next.

Re: 99 Cavalier won't start on gasoline

Update. I poured a small amount of gasoline into intake and car runs momentarily and stalls. Also, made sure sure tank had gasoline.

Comment

When is the last time you changed the gasoline fuel filter before this time ? They can get plugged and cause problems with the in-tank fuel pump. Usually, the pumps are pretty quiet and if you can hear it easily, it might be failing. In any event, you can check the fuel rail pressure at the engine to see if the pump is making pressure
      Last edited by siai47; 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM. Reason: I should have read the original post correctly!

Comment

I changed the fuel filter the last time it stopped. I have got the car started and running, now. But, I don't know what caused the problem. I'm wondering it the fuel might have been contaminated with water and eventually the water went through the system and purged itself. I know that seems far fetched but don't have any other explanation. It starts ever time now.

Comment

Working...
        X