Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought my van was going to blow up today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought my van was going to blow up today!

Thought my van might explode earlier this evening! I haven't driven it since mid summer. I started it and let it run for about 15 minutes. I turned it off and about 15 minutes later an extremely loud "woosh" sound came from under the van. I could tell the tanks were being vented. 10 minutes later it was quieter and I walked around the van and could smell the gas on only one side. I was worried that it would accumulate, as there was no wind. Looks as if there was a slight one. When it was making no noise, I opened the doors. There was a little gas odor inside, but I do not think it was venting inside. Under the van there is a device about the size of a fist. That thing was frost covered, as was some of the stainless gas line. I have a 2002 Chevy Express. It has a factory conversion and a large aftermarket tank in the cabin area (vented to the outside). Could this have been pressure relief? I think the tanks were nearly full. It was in the 30's today and shouldn't it have done that when it was sitting in 100 degree afternoons? Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Thought my van was going to blow up today!

The fist sized thing (if it is on the frame under the drivers door) is the high pressure regulator. There is a relief valve located on the regulator. The purpose of the relief valve is to protect the rest of the fuel system by venting if the regualtor fails to operate correctly. The frost is due to the temperature drop caused by the pressure reduction through the regulator. Something is not right (besides the regulator) if the relief valve vented for ten minutes. With the ignition off, the lockoff valves on the two factory installed tanks should be closed. Only the CNG in the tank to regulator lines should be under high pressure and that should vent in a few seconds---not ten minutes. I would suspect that the tank that was added to the vehicle is not controlled by the same system that controls the factory system and it was providing the fuel that was venting through the regulator. In any event, this may be a one time problem with the regulator sticking but if it continues to happen the high pressure regulator needs to be replaced. You need to check the extra tank installation and be sure there is a method of shutting off the fuel supply when the ignition is off---Even if that method is you manually closing the tank valve.

Comment

It sounds like the High Pressure Regulator, if you need help whe have new ones in stock. Just give us a call we would be happy to help out.
      Lancer Automotive Group
      3687 South 300 West
      Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

http://lancerautogroup.com

Visit our Facebook pages
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lance...68469439838785

https://www.facebook.com/alternativefuelcenter?ref=hl

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick replies. How much does that part cost? I cannot imagine getting anywhere near the van to close a valve if it is making that noise! I wonder if it was just the added tank that emptied. I may try to start it today. If I do the gas from the factory tanks should woosh into the empty aftermarket tank. I wonder if it stuck because it was under pressure for so many months. Thanks.

Comment

I just bought a 2001 Cavalier and filled it with about 6 gge. It had been ran previously mostly on unleaded regular. It ran fine on CNG and I thought it was great. No problem stopping and restarting the car. Next day after sitting overnight in cold weather, I too thought the car was going to explode. A loud venting or popping noise seemed to come fromn the fill nozzle/ tank area just when the key was turned on, no starter being engaged just the key moved to the on position. This happened for two days but only on the initial morning start. It seemed to not happen after the third day but I only had half a tank of CNG left. The Chevy dealer wants $120 just to check it out but I'm not sure I have a problem or was it just a sticking regulator. Since it is 50 miles to the closest Fill station, I have ran 3 tanks of unleaded after the empty switchover and not sure if it will do the same thing when I fill it with CNG again. Any advice?
          Thanks

Comment

Nibac, welcome to the group. It sounds as if the replies to Steve1 (the original poster with the van) were written to you. It sounds like the same issue. It's also helpful for the group to know your general geographic location so they may refer you to local resources, if any happen to be available to you in your area.

For future reference... if you are not replying to the original question posted, please start your own thread. It makes it simpler to find when someone else is searching for a solution to the same problem.

Comment

nibac,
              It seems you are in Washington, try contacting these folks to look at your vehicle:
              http://www.worldcng.com/

Comment

Working...
              X