• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lylepoulsen
    replied
    Re: Cavalier cng fuse blows when key is turned on

Originally posted by siai47 View Post
    At this point you might be better off looking for a used tank on E-bay. A Cavalier tank just went unpurchased (no bids) with a $300.00 starting price. It included the tank, mount, valve, pressure transducer, check valve, fill receptacle, tubing and HPR. (Only hitch was local pickup) I was going to bid on it but already had a couple of spare tanks. It may show up again, if not another will.
    The fuse did not blow with the 2 double wire Leeds disconnected. I guess I am looking for a tank with all the hpv,transducer, etc. you have 2. Are they for sell? Do you have any suggestions for an 01 cavalier? Thank you lyle

Leave a comment:

• rguzek
    replied

Thanks for the information. I was too late for the cavalier tank on ebay. I know I need the high pressure lock off solenoid. I will keep looking for parts. I can pay to get the issue diagnosed, that would at least provide me with the part number and a price. I was just hoping someone had the part number for the high pressure lock off solenoid, then I could check with GM parts on line. I think it comes as an assembly.

Leave a comment:

• Highmarker
    replied

Here's one for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alter...RCHQ3aUSQ3a101

It is off of a 2000 Cavalier. Don't believe that it has never been used. Of course it's been used. Just make sure that the tank/installation passes the CNG Fuel System Inspection.

Leave a comment:

• siai47
    replied

Did you ever receive my PM about the diode? In any event, the solenoid is part of the high pressure lockoff valve assembly (the silver thing that the wires and pipes go into on the drivers side of the tank). I will see if it is serviced seperate from the tank. Last time I checked, the tank included the valve---and the price? ! As I said before, your best bet is to buy a used tank on E-Bay that includes the pressure transducer.

Leave a comment:

• rguzek
    replied

Can anyone provide me with the part number for the high pressure lock-off (HPL) solenoid or the assembly where it is located (front of tank)?

Leave a comment:

• siai47
    replied

At this point you might be better off looking for a used tank on E-bay. A Cavalier tank just went unpurchased (no bids) with a $300.00 starting price. It included the tank, mount, valve, pressure transducer, check valve, fill receptacle, tubing and HPR. (Only hitch was local pickup) I was going to bid on it but already had a couple of spare tanks. It may show up again, if not another will.

Leave a comment:

• rguzek
    replied

I found a short circuit to ground on the coil of the high pressure valve on the front of the cng tank. (Purple and green wire) I was able to validate this by comparing it (with ohmmeter) to my other cavalier (2002). Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

BTW the pressure transducer is disconeected because it failed (on both cars). We refuel at home so we fill up daily and a functional gage isn't necessary. We get an extra twenty or thirty miles of CNG out of our cars also.

Leave a comment:

• siai47
    replied

I guess the first question is why is the fuel pressure sensor is disconnected? I am assuming the sensor has failed and you are operating without it and up until the fuse started blowing, CNG operation was normal. I am also assuming this is a 1998-2002 Cavalier. See if you can get the fuse to work by trying the following. Disconnect the connector at the GMS/MCV. This is the square box located on top of the engine. There is a red lock clip that must be removed before the connector itself can be released from the unit. Next remove the two wire connector going to the low pressure lockoff valve. This valve is located on top of the engine just in front of the low pressure regulator. Next remove the connector going to the high pressure lockoff in the trunk. This is a single wire connector with a orange wire near the drivers side of the fuel tank. Put a new fuse in and turn on the key. The bulb check in the fuel switch should proceede as normal. Wait a couple of seconds to see if the fuse blows. If is doesn't, turn off the key, reinstall the connector to the GMS/MCV and try again. If still OK, reconnect the connector to the high pressure lockoff valve. Turn on the key and see if you can hear the "click" of the valve. If still OK, there is a short in the low pressure lockoff valve. If the fuse blew when you turned the key on with everything disconnected, remove the drivers headlight assembly and remove the four relays located under the headlight along with the AF ECU. This can be done by removing one bolt located on top of the relay bracket and lifting the bracket and ECU along with their wire harnesses out through the hole where the headlight was. Inspect the wire harnesses for damage and pay attention to where the harness is clamped to the frame extension behind the headlight as I have seen them chaffed through in this area. Remove the connectors at the AF ECU and try the key thing again. If the fuse doesn't blow, it is possible the AF ECU has failed but I would double check all the wire harnesses running from this area for damage first before condeming the ECU . BTW-If you don't already have one, this is going to generate a MIL "check engine light" which should go away after three ignition cycles without any further problems.

Leave a comment:

• rguzek
    started a topic Cavalier cng fuse blows when key is turned on

Cavalier cng fuse blows when key is turned on

The 20 amp CNG fuse under the hood blows each time the ignition key is turned. Starter does not have to engage. I turn the key forward one click then the gasoline indicator comes on as usual and then within a couple seconds the fuse blows. Fuel pressure sensor is disconnected on this vehicle and has been.
Working...
X