HELP with my Tahoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP with my Tahoe

I am looking for some help, we have a 2000 bi-fuel Tahoe!!! It runs great on gas, but when on Natural gas it Stalls and sputters every time we stop!!! I took it to a local shop and they said they fixed it!!! That is not the case!!! Then have not, any help would be awesome!!! The conversion it has is an Eco!! Thanks

Re: HELP with my Tahoe

elars43,

A co-worker of mine had a 2000 Chevy truck with the exact same problem. He adjusted a screw on the regulator and it fixed the problem. I am not sure on the details of the adjustment (location of screw on regulator or which way he turned the screw). Hope this helps.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
      elars43,

A co-worker of mine had a 2000 Chevy truck with the exact same problem. He adjusted a screw on the regulator and it fixed the problem. I am not sure on the details of the adjustment (location of screw on regulator or which way he turned the screw). Hope this helps.

I wish it was that easy!! We have tried that a couple of times!!! Thanks though

Comment

Have you checked the spark plugs and cables? My Contour was running rough on CNG when starting from a stop and replacing the spark plugs and cables cleaned things up.

A compression test may also identify the problem.

Comment

What cables? We will give that a try!!! Thanks

Comment

The spark plug cables.

Comment

Pull the CNG fuse under the hood and see if it runs rough on gasoline. If it does, it should produce a code; if not its not the plug cables. Check the air cleaner and make sure the temperature is correct as a bad thermostat can cause rough idle and stalling. Make sure the connector to the CNG temp sensor is connected. You should check the following as well; the high pressure filter (be careful), check to see if there's gasoline at the fuel pressure regulator, if there is, it's faulty and could be burning gasoline at the same time.
              Anytime you're working on the CNG, you must remove both battery connectors.
              2009 GX
              2000 K2500
              2002 Cavalier
              1998 Contour
              Phill powered by solar power

Comment

why do I have to remove both battrey cables as it can not flow power without having a complete circuit I have never heard this now I am not saying that I am right just wondering what is the reasion and your source

Comment

GM service manual page 3 and the main reason is static electricity.
                  2009 GX
                  2000 K2500
                  2002 Cavalier
                  1998 Contour
                  Phill powered by solar power

Comment

Chevy bi-fuels are notorious for running very rough on CNG when a spark plug or spark plug wire is starting to go. You will not usually notice a problem on gasoline though, at least not until a plug or wire gets really bad.

Change them all out. You cannot tell by just looking when a spark plug wire is going bad. Once you have all new plugs and all new wires report back. I'm 95% confident that this will fix your problem, I've seen it happen at least once to every single GM bi-fuel owner I know.

Good luck,

KIRK

P.S. When you get your new plugs, ask if they have bi-fuel plugs. The first time I changed my plugs (for the very reason you are describing) on my '01 cavalier, I just got regular plugs for an '01 cavalier. Then the same rough idle started happening again just 3 months later, and when I checked my plugs, they had lots of soot deposits. I went back to autozone and asked for new plugs. This time I noticed that on the screen there were two options, and one was bi-fuel. The employee didn't know what bi-fuel even meant, so he didn't offer it to me as an option, but I requested it when I saw it pop up on his computer. I think they are the same plugs, with a slightly different gap. Now I am going on two years with no problems whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                    X