Reluctant owner 2002 Silverado Bifuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reluctant owner 2002 Silverado Bifuel

I recently became the owner of a 2002 Silverado 4X4 2500HD 6.0L. I bought it on a tender from the provincial government gas utility called Saskenergy. I was looking for a long box 4x4 and did not pay much attention to the fact it had natural gas on it. When I got it home and found the unopened operators manual in a tool box in the Extendacab I find it is a priority CNG system factory installed rather than a conversion.

I need the long box for use around the farm and thought I could just remove the tank from the bed but the only tech. I can find says,"no you can't do that" it will screw up the computer. The system needs to be certified but the tank sticker is good to 2016. I filled it at Saskenergy last week and it switched to CNG and ran well even at -30C. The system is by Quantum Technologies.

My question is, can I just remove the tank and lines from the bed or will it not run on gas after? There are three wire plugs to the end of the tank. Heater hoses to the regulator, the line to the engine and the fill line to the gas door. I wish I was close to a place where there is a high demand for these vehicles as I might just sell it.

Re: Reluctant owner 2002 Silverado Bifuel

I think that the three wires are electric tank valve, tank temp, and tank pressure. I bet you could remove the tank and leave the tank pressure sensor attached to the wiring (so the system just thinks the cng is empty and will not set a trouble code). You might also have to simulate the tank temp sensor with a resistor. That being said, I would have a professional do it. The high pressure is dangerous if you do not understand how it works. Some pressure remains (400 psi?) in the tank even if it is ran down to "empty" and switches to gasoline.

Comment

Re: Reluctant owner 2002 Silverado Bifuel

Thanks
      I guess the big problem is finding a "pro". The only one I have found so far says it can't be done. But then he had never seen a system like mine. I had been thinking I would need to simulate a tank.

Comment

Working...
      X