Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Cavalier start troubles

I couldn't find a thread describing this exact problem, so here it goes:
    My '01 Cavalier won't start. The first time, I had just filled the CNG tank. After it failed to start and I took the key from the ignition, there was a whirring sound and the needles on the gauges jolted up and back once. After a few tries, it started. The same thing happened later that day. It started within a half hour, after several tries. The car sat over a weekend and by Monday, it would not start even after several tries. The whirring sound and the gauge needles continued to jump after I removed the key from the ignition. After a couple more days, not even the sound or needles occurred. Any ideas?
    Thanks, in advance.

Re: 2001 Cavalier start troubles

Sounds like the ignition switch is giving you problems. Nothing should be running after turning off the key. Have it checked and make sure the recall has been done on your car. Any dealer can check by giving them your VIN number. The recall is listed at the NTSA website and it is #04V036000. Don't drive the car until you have verified if the switch is the problem or not as it can cause a "thermal event" (i.e. FIRE )

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion. I called a dealer, who checked and said the ignition recall was performed on my car. (At least I won't be starting any fires!).

Comment

It sounds like your looking at a major electrical problem, Could be a ignition switch or even to back feeding thru a ground that could be causing you a draw to cause your battery to go dead also. Don’t sure were to tell you to start, would just take some diagnosing time.
        Lancer Automotive Group
        3687 South 300 West
        Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

http://lancerautogroup.com

Visit our Facebook pages
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lance...68469439838785

https://www.facebook.com/alternativefuelcenter?ref=hl

Comment

Maybe you should start by asking them to check if the ignition switch recall repair was done correctly...
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

Starter shorting to ground? Wiring short in start circuit? Call click and clack the tappet brothers!!! (npr) ha ha ha

Comment

I thought about calling the Tap-it Bros, believe me!

Here's the verdict of my mechanic: A cable to the battery was loose and needed only a washer under the bolt. But because the battery was dead a number of days before I had it towed, several computers had to be reset, chiefly the one controlling the theft deterrent system. He printed out some instructions of what to do if I ever need to reprogram the theft deterrent system, but I'm unclear what would prompt me to do that. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X