Cavalier stalls on CNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavalier stalls on CNG

I have a 1999 Cavalier with about 190,000km (Canada), and the other day all of a sudden the car stalls while driving. It has done this twice now and both times while running on CNG. I can start it again but it starts on regular gas. The fuel indicator light on the dash kept switching back and forth from CNG to gas but with no hesitation with the car.
    Any ideas?

Re: Cavalier stalls on CNG

Sounds like a Gas Mass Sensor to me. Check it out in other threads in this forum.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

It could be the AF ECU too. I believe that is what is causing mine to stall at low speeds. It only occurs after I have worked it pretty hard (after going up hills on a back country road). Let us know what worked for you after you fix your problem.

Comment

My 2001 Ford van (added kit) started to stall coming up to a stop sign, at 40, 30, 20 miles. found out it was the fresh air sencer. got it fixed for $600.00 WALLA no stalling with cng.

Comment

What would be the fresh air sensor? My stalls when I do that too, when I slow down, or when I'm just starting out (makes left turns a bit scary). It has actually stalled when I was running on gasoline too. So maybe that is my problem.

Comment

I had a car years ago that did that. Any time the engine would twist, from accelerate, slowing down and sometimes in reverse. It was a crack in the fuel injection boot. It causes too much air into the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by mmaclean View Post
              I have a 1999 Cavalier with about 190,000km (Canada), and the other day all of a sudden the car stalls while driving. It has done this twice now and both times while running on CNG. I can start it again but it starts on regular gas. The fuel indicator light on the dash kept switching back and forth from CNG to gas but with no hesitation with the car.
              Any ideas?
              If you smell NG thern its the low pres reg, if not most likely gas mass.
              sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
              SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
              2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
              1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
              2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

Fixed, it was only the O2 sensor.

Comment

I have a 2001 cavalier which seems has the same problem. What is the 02 problem and how much cost you to fixed it?

Thanks

Comment

I just got my 1999 Cavalier on Friday. When starting cold, it works fine, but after it has warmed up, it will stall at stops. I learned that if I keep just a little pressure on the gas, and use my left foot for the break it worked fine....until this morning. This morning it started missing while on CNG. I took the CNG fuse out and it worked fine on unleaded.

Any ideas? Someone mentioned changing the spark plugs....

Comment

The best thing to do is change the plugs and the wires. CNG takes more energy to fire the mixture then gasoline hence problems like misfiring occur first on NG. When you pull the wires, check for dirt in the holes where the spark plugs are installed and blow them out before removing the old plugs. It's an aluminum head so use anti-seize compound on the spark plug threads and torque the plugs to 13 foot pounds. Use a little bit of silicone lube on the boots at both ends when reinstalling. The coils are marked as to which wire goes where. Finally make sure the piece of plastic tubing that the wires go through by the drivers side of the head is in place. If missing, or brittle, replace it. Hope that fixes it for you .

Comment

Working...
                      X