Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning the Gas Mass Sensor caused more problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the Gas Mass Sensor caused more problems!

DO NOT USE the CRC MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR CLEANER!
    I attempted to clean the Gas Mass Sensor with the CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner (UPC 0 78254 05110 9). On my 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier CNG.I sprayed the circuit boards and the tube where the sensor is actually located at. The CRC product caused the conformal coating on the boards to dissolve and swell, pushing up the IC chips from both the digital and analog board. Now I had a Gas Mass Sensor that needed major IC chip re-soldering. I re-soldered the IC chips and noticed that the actual sensor leads to the board appeared to have a cold solder joint on two of the leads, I re-soldered these leads. I also noticed that there was a heavy accumulation of carbon looking material on the leads attaching the small wire which I’ll call a cat hair. I gingerly removed this carbon material. I reassembled the Mass Gas Sensor, but I still have an issue with an open circuit. The vehicle starts on gasoline and only when I apply finger pressure to the actual circuit boards with the lid removed from the top of the sensor, I will obtain a start on CNG. I reexamined the circuit boards and at this time I can not locate the open circuit. As a temporary fix, I have applied thick double sided tape to the top of the circuit board and with the top lid pressure applied; I have been able to start on CNG. After this temporary fix, I have noticed that my vehicle is not dying when going 55 miles per hour or any other speed and I have not experienced the 6+ second start time as I have experienced in the past. The cause may have been the cold solder joints or the carbon caked sensor leads. But the CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner (UPC 0 78254 05110 9) did NOT perform as I had anticipated and caused me additional issues. I need to contact CRC about their product liability and if I have recourse for the repair of my Gas mass sensor from them.
    Does anyone know where I may obtain just the Gas mass sensor circuit boards without the metal housing?
    Thank you for your time and assistance.
    Wheelhorse1962
    NO
    66.67%
    Yes, Great results
    33.33%
    Yes, damaged components
    0.00%
    Would never use the product
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Cleaning the Gas Mass Sensor caused more problems!

Not experienced with this product or the Gas Mass Sensor.

However, it sounds like you used the CRC Mass sensor Cleaner on a circuit board. You probably should have used a circuit board cleaner. I suspect the CRC cleaner is a strong solvent meant to clean contamination from the sensor itself.

I have never heard of circuit board cleaner removing coatings from circuit boards. It took me a minute to figure out you used something other then circuit board cleaner on the board.

Best of luck finding that open trace.

Comment

Re: Cleaning the Gas Mass Sensor caused more problems!

Dang, that sucks!

My mechanic friend says that gass sensor looks like a 50.00 part. hahaha. He can't believe how much them suckers want for it.

Hope you get it resolved!

Comment

Working...
      X