2013 silverado 2500 hd CNG a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 silverado 2500 hd CNG a few questions

I just bought a 13 silverado 2500 hd with CNG. The truck is great, i ran it on cng and it works good. My thing is im getting a u0109 code and a p069e code lost communication with fuel pump control module and fpcm request mil. My question is this. Im assuming the fuel pump module for gas is intergrated into the cng controller but im not sure is that true. Also is there a way to connect with a scan tool to the fuel system module. I have a snap on appolo scanner and it dosen't give me the option.. As of now the truck runs good on gas. The cng guage will flicker or go out completly or it will flash and orange light with 2 green lights. Shortly after that the check engine light comes on it seems like a power issue but i cant find any electrical schmatics for it.

I think you will find that the fuel pump module is a separate part located in left front of the engine compartment. The only option to scan the vehicle is with a GM scanner. The old Tech 2 with the last update that was done to the tool will read the 2013 Silverado CNG. They stopped writing PID's for it after the 2013 model year. A lot of independent shops still have the Tech 2 and that would be the cheapest way to see what is going on. My memory is getting a little bad but I think the truck you have uses a variable flow gasoline fuel pump that is controlled by the engine control unit. When running on CNG I think the module only fakes out the ECU to think the fuel pump is running and doing it's job when it is not. It's possible the module has failed and sending the ECU codes that the fake fuel pump isn't working correctly.

Comment

Hi, I have different Silverado question. I bought a used 2013 Silverado 2500HD bi-fuel. The dealer had no clue about the CNG feature. My truck came with the owners manual, and I assumed all I would need to know would be in the manual. Boy was I wrong, there is nothing in it except how to engage the system. I've been reading online that I should change the coalescent fuel filter every 3,000 miles, but I can't find it on the truck, and even when I go to the GM parts site, I can't find a part number. I am hoping someone out there could direct me on where I could find something like a service manual or any kind of information that would tell me what parts i need to change and maintain to keep the system running correctly. Thank you very much

Comment

I have found the dealer PARTS departments are best sources for exploded views of all parts and locations. (They can also print out a vehicle factory build list for your truck via the VIN).
        It is my understanding that dealers must be able to supply parts for 10 years on a vehicle.
        The filter likely would not be a stock item and need to be ordered, or if they can give you a part number, maybe find one via the Internet.
        I have the same truck, but have yet to change the filter...probably should after 50,000 miles!
        '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
        '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
        FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Sorry, I do not know where the filter is located. Maybe let us know when you find it!
          FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Thanks for the input cnguser, I will check with a local chevy dealership (who just built a brand new facility). I will post what I can find out.

Comment

Just an update on my progress on finding information about the 2013 Silverado CNG system. Ended up going to the dealership with a CNG problem (not the question I had on the fuel filter). My CNG fuel tank filler neck was leaking (the receptacle you clamp the nozzle to fill tank). Well it ends up GM doesn't sell just the O-ring, they weren't sure if you could even take apart the receptacle to replace the 0-ring. GM only sells the receptacle (and all parts in the receptacle) and the following gas line, they only offer them as a package. For the surprisingly bargain price of over $700 (you would also get a new red high pressure warning sticker!) I am thinking that's a little high for an O-ring.....lol. I am not even sure if that is the problem, but it makes sense to me. GM calls the part a "receptacle" and the GM part number is 22990953. Oh, I forgot to mention, if you decided you wanted to pay $700 in essence to replace one O-ring, don't count on GM to sell you the part, they don't have any to sell. The dealership could not find another dealer that had one, or any supplier that has one. The dealer gave me the part number and suggested I try to find an aftermarket replacement. I did find on RockAuto an AC-Delco replacement for the nozzle for the bargain price of only $365, now I am deciding weather to fork out the money (if that is my problem). After finding out GM doesn't even supply parts for the CNG system, I forgot to even ask about changing the Coalescing fuel filter.

Comment

I ended up buying the receptacle from Rockauto.com, and have since installed it. Everything is working good now, except my CNG tank only fills to a little over 13 gallons (this was even before the receptacle change out). From watching a video on youtube (looks like the chevy introduction of their CNG fleet to the public), he says the truck comes with a 17 gallon CNG tank. I have run the tank out several times, and the most it will fill up to is the 13 gallons. Don't know why I can't seem to fill it up.

Comment

The tank will not ever go "empty" as a residual amount must remain to keep it pressurized. The CNG computer stops the system and switches over to gasoline when tank pressure reaches a certain low point. My truck will only "refill" to about 13 gallons, as you experienced. This is the design, and normal operation.
                  FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

To ZZ61,
                    The coalescent fuel filter is located under the truck on the driver side hidden behind a steel cover that protects the regulator. There is a SAE plug on the bottom of the filter that you can remove to drain the filter. WARNING, CLOSE THE RED HANDLED VALVE AT THE TANK AS A SAFETY PRECAUTION. Break loose till you hear it leaking to drain off line pressure. When I replaced the element I had to remove the steel cover. Hope the helps.

Comment

DANGER never ever loosen any high pressure fitting with pressure on it it .it can strip the threads and come out like a bullet and kill you or someone else.turn the gas off and than start the truck and let it run out of gas. than and only then remove the plug .if it turns hard it may still may have pressure on it.

Comment

Good afternoon , new to the forum ,I was wondering on a format to separate the cng computer system from the 2013 Silverado OEM computer system and clear codes etc ,thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X