CHEVY express fueling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHEVY express fueling

2003 express 6.0 engine. So I filled it for the first time.. the capacity is 133 L that equals like 9.2 gallons... I ran the Teleflex GFI system till it automatically switched to gasoline. Filler pump stopped at 4.3 gl at 3600 psi, it was 70 degrees out. There are 3 tanks, so I will pull the covers and see if all the tank valves are working. Much feed back says you cant 100% full but I figured 7 gallons would be realistic??
    Any feedback would be a great help as Im ZERO experience on one!! Anyone have a clue where I get teleflex information?
    Don in Portland,OR

Re: CHEVY express fueling

If it is bi-fuel, then it should have two tanks, dedicated has three with a much larger capacity then 9.2 gallons. I believe the tanks should hold about 9.5 GGE however, the system leaves residual pressure in the tanks so they are never "empty" A time fill should get you 7.5 to 8.5 GGE, temperature dependent. Quick fill about 1 GGE less. You should be seeing somewhere around 120-130 miles on the highway---I would suspect you are getting about half of that. If so, one of the two tank valves isn't opening. Even though the pressure transducer is on the forward tank, either tank could be the problem as they are tied with a common hose connection between them. Remove the rear tank cover and locate the black connectors on the tank valves. Pick one and remove it and try to start the van on CNG. If it runs OK, then reinstall the connector and remove the other connector and try again. If it still runs OK, then both valves are operating. If it quits with either connector off---then the disconnected valve is the good valve and the connected one is bad.

Comment

I just read another one of your posts and noticed you have a FM4 (3000 psi) Fuelmaker. That lowers the fill a bit due to the lower final pressure----so do all of your "tests" using a known shut off pressure, either your Fuelmaker, or a station with a pressure readout. Even with a FM4, you should be able to hit over 6 GGE and of course with a 3600 PSI quick fill the numbers in the above post are close. BTW, because of variables in the fuel fills, you should do several fills and record the total mileage travelled on CNG and total gallons to get a more accurate result. I would think you are going to be closer to 15 mpg in your van.

Comment

I have a 2004 bi-fuel Chevy Express cargo with the 6.0. It has the most torque of any older CNG V8 but they can be thirsty. I drive about 150 miles per day and seldom use gasoline. I fast fill in the evening, drive 7.5 miles home and top off in the morning at the same station. This is the only way I can stay off the gasoline. I average around 15 mpg. Joe

Comment

Working...
        X