Backfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backfire

This sounds very similar to the story I described earlier in this post about my brother's K2500 pickup. In his case his wires were less than 6 months old, so when he started having backfires... (In his case the backfires only happened at higher RPM's on acceleration; if he wasn't accelerating or if he was running on gasoline he didn't notice a problem, although even on gasoline he had OBDII codes indicating misfires on one valve.)

Since his wires were so new, he just replaced the plugs, but it didn't resolve the problem, so he took it to a mechanic friend. His mechanic noticed that one of the clips used to hold the wires away from the engine was missing. This had caused one of his new wires to sit directly up against the engine. Evidently this caused the wire to fail prematurely.

If you are still experiencing backfire issues, and haven’t replaced your wires yet, I would recommend doing that first. Just because your wires look good on the outside, doesn't guarantee optimal performance.

KIRK

Comment

Re: Backfire

Kirk,
      Thanks for the advice. I will try some new wires and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
      X