2013 Silverado 2500 factory bi-fuel experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Silverado 2500 factory bi-fuel experience

I ordered this truck in December and (due to IMPCO delays) it took almost five months to be delivered.
    The bi-fuel system is covered under the GM warranty - not a separate
    third party. Service or maintenance can be handled at an authorized (bi-fuel) GM dealership.
    It runs seamlessly switching between CNG & gas. The driver can manually select which fuel, however,
    if CNG is selected it always starts on gasoline for a bit until the engine warms up.

The 6.0 L engine it is rated at 360 HP on gas, and 301 HP on CNG. A warning label advises the gas side is
    NOT compatible with E85. It is FULLY compliant with both EPA & Calif CARB requirements, and can be sold there.
    Since a number of states now require CARB requirements, the emissions warranty is extended in these states (except NY) to match Calif.
    The CNG tank is 17.6 GGE, and the gas tank is 36 gallon, for up to roughly a 650 mile range combined.

The GM owner bi-fuel supplement manual exclusively lists both of our favorite sites for fuel locations and cng ifo:
    www.cngprices.com
    www.cngchat.com
    We finally made the big time here! Possibly influenced by John Mitton who had worked at IMPCO...

Although the truck will be used for occasional 5th wheel trailer towing, care must be taken as the tank enclosure can impact
    clearances with trailer. Also, it is not possible to see the hitch when backing to connect the trailer on because
    of the tank cover height. Perhaps it is more suited for a regular tow trailer with a receiver type hitch, etc.

I may report gas mileage in a future road trip report after a July trip to California.
    '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
    '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
    FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Re: 2013 Silverado 2500 factory bi-fuel experience

Congrats on purchase of new bi-fuel Chevy pickup. You're a pioneer in terms of USA public (ie cng vehicles still rare), and more so in Oregon where cng implementation is quite scarse. Which Chevy dealership did you get pickup from?

Curious where you're all refueling CNG in Oregon? I see that your have own Fuelmaker, but is that your only cng source locally?

Comment

You can get a small rearview backup camera to see the hitch when backing up. I've install 3 of these on our Hondas, and we are hooked on them now.

Comment

Originally posted by KSneedsCNG View Post
        Congrats on purchase of new bi-fuel Chevy pickup. You're a pioneer in terms of USA public (ie cng vehicles still rare), and more so in Oregon where cng implementation is quite scarse. Which Chevy dealership did you get pickup from?

Curious where you're all refueling CNG in Oregon? I see that your have own Fuelmaker, but is that your only cng source locally?

If you go to the GM/Chevy fleet website and select Business Elite Dealers under the Your Business tab, enter your location and it will tell which dealers are authorized to sell these trucks - similar to how Honda lists authorized dealers for the Natural Gas Civics.
        The one for Oregon is Suburban Chevrolet in Sandy.

My home fueler is the primary source for now. There is also public fueling available in Salem, about 40 miles from me.
        FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Hate to bump an old thread but----- My local dealer has a new 2013 CNG Silverado that has been sitting on the lot for a year and is trying to get me to buy it. It is really speced out kind of strange with a standard box (short) and most of the high end options, 4 wheel drive, LTZ, leather and just about every option except nav. Sticker was just over 60K and he is down to 44K and wants it gone. I know it is the "old" truck chassis and body but the powertrain and the CNG system is the same of the 2015's. So, does anyone own one of these and what do you think about it? Does the price seem reasonable? I've seen some used ones advertised with what I thought were very competitive prices with no takers. Is there something wrong with these trucks. It seems to run good however it doesn't seem to have much power.

Comment

Crew cab with 4 full size doors?

Comment

No, extended cab with rear hinged doors.

Comment

Still a good deal

Comment

For 44K, that is a good deal. I paid about that for my LT, (without the bells, whistles and leather).
                  If you really want the crew cab version for 2014-2015 you will pay a lot more. Just go to the Chevy or NADA web sites and price a new one and you will see.
                  If you want "power" then run on the gasoline, 360 HP. If you wanna save costs, run on the CNG, 300 HP. These trucks are not race cars, but work horses.
                  I have a 24ft trailer, and it tows fine.

On the CNG for highway driving (no trailer) I get around 20 MPG average. Have not completed similar runs on the gas side yet.
                  FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Nels Gunderson Chevrolte of Osseo, WI has a new 2013 2500 Silverado in stock $41K.

They said they have done a couple fleet conversions and looking for more. The opinion is the new Malibu will be a good product for them when it becomes available.

www.nelsgundersonchevrolet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Amfuel View Post
                      Nels Gunderson Chevrolte of Osseo, WI has a new 2013 2500 Silverado in stock $41K.

They said they have done a couple fleet conversions and looking for more. The opinion is the new Malibu will be a good product for them when it becomes available.

www.nelsgundersonchevrolet.com
                      malibu or impala?

Comment

I pulled the trigger on it today. As the drivetrain is the same between the '13 and '15 CNG trucks it really didn't bother me what the sheet metal looks like. They came down another $750 and threw in a custom made (because of the container cover being longer then a bed style tool box) tonneau cover. They also waived the delivery, prep and other BS charges. Bottom line $43,250 plus tax and that was that. Runs really nice. The part I enjoy the most is the heated and cooled seats. The seating area has perforations in it through which pressurized air flows which either heats or cools the seats. It actually works! This is the first time I had a look at the Impco upfit for the CNG system in any detail and it really looks like a quality, factory install. Transition between fuel sources when driving is seamless without any evidence that a changeover occurred. It was a late build so the 15 year tank expiration is 05/2028. It will replace my trusty 2001 one ton long wheelbase CNG van---and yes, the truck will need to tow a trailer to match the cargo capacity of the van when needed.

Comment

Oops, Impala

Comment

Congratulations siai....great deal !

Comment

Why only 15 year life on the tank? I thought the cylinder manufacturers were going with a 20 yr. life now...

Comment

Working...
                              X