Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing out spark plugs on 02 F-150, any parts needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing out spark plugs on 02 F-150, any parts needed?

I want to change out the spark plugs on my F-150 5.8L and heard that you might have to change out another part in the process for each of the cylinders and it could cost up to $500, does anybody have any insight on this?

Re: Changing out spark plugs on 02 F-150, any parts needed?

isn't it a 5.4L? I would also like to hear some info on these spark plugs...anyone
    2000 Escalade (option 3 conversion) FOR SALE
    2004 F150 XLT (OEM conversion)
    2000 Camry (Awesome Car!!)

Comment

You may need to change out coil packs.

Comment

The ford modular engines have coil on plug coils. They are just a small coil with a boot on it that gets bolted to the intake manifold and keeps it over the plug. It takes a 7mm socket to get the coils off, then its just like a regular spark plug.

The 7mm sockets can be a real pain to get at! A good selection of u-joints and extensions is absolutely necesarry. Some guys go to sears and buy the sockets that have a u-joint built into them. They are shorter than a separate u-joint and socket put together and make the job a lot easier.

ALSO, make sure you have a air blower, antizieze, and a torque wrench. The ford modular engine (4.6, 5.4, 6.8) all have aluminum heads with only 4 threads that engage the plugs. They are very easy to strip, and if you overtorque, or install with dirt in the threads, they can blow out of the cylinders. (google "ford blown spark plug") you'll be amazed.

I think the torque spec is only 14 ft-lbs for install.

If you are getting a misfire, run your computer codes, it will tell you what cylinders are misfiring. This is almost always a bad coil pack. I just replaced 3 on my V10. I bought a pack of 8 on ebay for like $100.

Plan on 3-4 hours for your first time doing plugs (the ones in the back are tight) only 1-2 hours the second time as you figure out how to get those little 7mm sockets off for the coils.

Comment

no platinum plugs when you change them out. Coils foiling is very likely the problem I see it all the time in my Ford vehicles. Buy them off EBAY. you can get them as cheep as $10 and they are just as good as the $75 ones the dealer wants to sell you. I keep 50 on hand at all times because one vehicle will suck up 8-10 coils.
          Last edited by CNG MOTORS; 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM.
          sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
          SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
          2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
          1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
          2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

My 02 F150 Harley Davidson edition blew a spark plug out of the #2 cylinder. I have been going round and round with Ford about this. The customer service line is useless. I tried them and they told me Ford is doing nothing to fix this problem. I emailed the consumer affairs manager at Ford. Her name is Rosemary O'Malley. She had Lynne Buckman from the Corporate offices of Ford Motor Company call me. She offered to pay me back for the parts of the fix, which added up to a whopping 125.00. She claims that this is not a common problem. My bill was 500 bucks for the heli coil fix. I was told by my local dealership that the heads are $4,000 to replace. Lynne told me that it would be a waste of my time to write a letter to the CEO of Ford Alan Mulally because he would send it right back down to her. This is not right. The heads need to be recalled and people who drive the F series vehicles should be able to drive their vehicles with confidence. These are their direct numbers... Lynne Buckman (313) 845 6232
            Rosemary O'Malley [email protected] (313) 845-6173
            Look at this video too. This may happen to you if this is not fixed!
            http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bctid686998090
            Last edited by xnodak; 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xnodak View Post
              My 02 F150 Harley Davidson edition blew a spark plug out of the #2 cylinder. I have been going round and round with Ford about this. The customer service line is useless. I tried them and they told me Ford is doing nothing to fix this problem. I emailed the consumer affairs manager at Ford. Her name is Rosemary O'Malley. She had Lynne Buckman from the Corporate offices of Ford Motor Company call me. She offered to pay me back for the parts of the fix, which added up to a whopping 125.00. She claims that this is not a common problem. My bill was 500 bucks for the heli coil fix. I was told by my local dealership that the heads are $4,000 to replace. Lynne told me that it would be a waste of my time to write a letter to the CEO of Ford Alan Mulally because he would send it right back down to her. This is not right. The heads need to be recalled and people who drive the F series vehicles should be able to drive their vehicles with confidence. These are their direct numbers... Lynne Buckman (313) 845 6232
              Wow you too eh??
              Im sorry about your Ford missfortune.. but this is the name of the blue ovals better ideas game, Umm ford does not have anny problems wth the mod engine? B S I own a repair shop and in the last 4 months ive replaced an 06 f350 diesel eng with 80k on the clock and an 05 5.4 with the #3 piston eating the valve, oh yea btw to replace the heads u have to remove the cab at 24 hours lab, and we just replaced an air filter for 300.00 in an 05 focus because it faled and let dirt contaminate the maf, Ford makes up 80% of our buisiness,
              IMO ford needs to uninstall head from arse
              Ken's Master Auto Care

1998 Cavalier CNG

1972 Chevy Blazer Twin turbod Duramax in it, 12.8 @105MpH 505 rwhp 1109 rwtq

Still in the works
              1969 Camaro Cstm blt 87 vette frnt susp 6 pot 13" frnt brks rack and pinnion Dana 60 w Cstm Lateral-Dynamics 3 link rear susp 4 pot 12" rr brks 18X10 frnt 18X12 rr Bozeforged Speedsters, on the list still is
              Gforce T56 6speed gen3 427 Ci Twn turbo

Comment

Where are you getting coil packs for $10 each? I have looked and the cheapest I have found is $46 each. I am going to do my plugs and packs on Saturday. I am prepared to spend my whole day.

-Harp

EDIT: Sorry I reread your post and got some of Ebay thanks again save me a ton.
                Last edited by Harpoon; 05-01-2008, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xnodak View Post
                  This is a very common, known to Ford, problem with the Triton family of engines and the aluminum heads/insufficient spark plug threads. I would say that if anyone at Ford says they haven't heard of this before that they are almost definitely lying to you. Do a basic google search with keywords of "Ford and spark plug blow out" or other such close searches and you will find thousands of posts of people with the same problem. If they were willing to pay you back, which is suprising, why would they only pay 125 if your cost was 500? Are they only paying for the actual helicoil kit and no labor? From what I read they try to weasle out of warranty coverage saying that spark plugs are not covered, which isn't the problem. It happens on original factory install plugs under suggested service intervals.

Comment

Wow what a nightmare. Changing the plugs out requires removal of the Compuvalve, CNG inlets to CNG fuel rails, & Gasoline fuel rails. And that is just getting down to the plugs then extension/universal tricks to get the plugs out. I don't know if I would have done the plugs myself had I know it was going to be such a nightmare. My advise take it slow and plan to remove everything.

-Harp

Comment

I do tune ups on the 5.4 tritons all the time they are a pain in the arse..... you may need a 7mm wabble socket to get the coil packs off on the back plugs also , some people pull the fuel rail to make it easier but i never do.. oh ps.... there is a reason they charge that much to change the plugs they take around a hour after doing a few my first set took almost 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by rhino801 View Post
                        I do tune ups on the 5.4 tritons all the time they are a pain in the arse..... you may need a 7mm wabble socket to get the coil packs off on the back plugs also , some people pull the fuel rail to make it easier but i never do.. oh ps.... there is a reason they charge that much to change the plugs they take around a hour after doing a few my first set took almost 2 hours.
                        Hey I noticed you are in Utah, how much would you charge to do my 01 coils and plugs... Pm me, thanks

Comment

This sounds like a legitimate class action lawsuit issue. Has anybody seen or heard anything about one?
                          Max

Comment

Working...
                          X