Hard starts and slow acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard starts and slow acceleration

Okay a few questions on my truck that i hope you can help me with; I'm not sure if its the cold or not but my truck ('96 Ford Ranger) has a really hard time starting in the mornings and when its been sitting for 2+ hours. Has really sluggish acceleration even after reaching operating temp. When i pull it into my shop i get a really strong whif of NG. I started smelling around with the hood up and engine running and found that it makes me almost sick when i smell next to the regulator. Is it normal to have that much coming out of there? When i'm running on gasoline i dont have any of the problems. So if anyone could post some ideas it would help alot. Thanks!
    You can do anything except light a paper match, on a marshmellow, underwater!

R.I.P. Taylor and Chris

Re: Hard starts and slow acceleration

Before you start it, after it is cooled off, turn the key on but don't start it. Check and see if the ordor is there before starting it. I'm not familiar with the CNG yet, but I would assume it wouldn't flow fuel until engine is cranking. If it is flowing fuel when it shouldn't, it could be a stuck valve or something in the cold start system. Try letting is sit with the key on about 15-30 seconds before starting. If it starts easier, I would guess you are bleeding of pressure somewhere and it takes a few moments to build it back up.
    Good luck.
    Max

Comment

Thanks max i'll give it a try and get back to you

R.I.P. Taylor and Chris

Comment

My truck did the same thing but it was very obvious where the pressure was coming out. Theres 3 little holes going around the regulator that were letting all the pressure out, sure enough the regulator was jacked. $1,191 later problem solved.

Comment

Yeah thats what i'm afraid of cuz i just bought the truck less than a month ago. And i still can't find the leak.

R.I.P. Taylor and Chris

Comment

Okay, i had my truck on a lift today replacing the gear oil in the rear diff and i got a real stronge whiff of NG. truck was off and key was in my pocket. it cleared out after a few min. Could this be just some unburnt NG coming out of the tail pipe?

R.I.P. Taylor and Chris

Comment

Working...
            X