This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating 97 ford contour bifuel

My contour is overheating, but not sure of what's causing it. Replaced the thermostat, checked for leaks, ran pressure checks, and eveything checks out OK. But even at that am suspicious of the headgasket. Now the big question: if I replace the head gasket, what do I need to do concerning the CNG system. The tank is empty, and I'm aware of the cutoff valve on the left side underneath. But what do I do under the hood? Bob

Re: overheating 97 ford contour bifuel

I am not a Ford guy but if the thing isn't leaking and the system checks out OK on a pressure check, I would be sure everything else in the system checks out. For example, is the electric fan working correctly and coming on at the right temperture? Are any cooling hoses soft or collapsing? Is the radiator partly plugged? Is there any evidence of antifreeze in the oil? A quick check on the internet for Contour overheating showed that one of the problems could be the water pump impeller failing. You might want to review what others have encountered. Unless you severely overheated it (and think the head gasket is bad) I would sure check everything else first.

Comment

a five gas analyzer held just above the water lever in the coolant reservoir will tell; If there is CO in the coolant tank then you may have a combustion leak into the cooling system. CO is a product of combustion which does not occure in the cooling system. Check the coolant reservoir for cracks (remove it from the vehicle and clean it --good; found that problem on my Taurus. Change the oil and send a sample of the oil for analysis (check your carquest dealer for a kit about $20) it will tell you if you have coolant in the oil -and other things.

Larrycng

Comment

I agree with Siai47 about going through simple checks first . . . THERMOSTAT IS NUMBER 1 thing to switch out !! . . . then checking if head bolts are all tight . . . then checking/smelling dipstick for any signs of coolant . . . then visual check whether the coolant is bubbling after running awhile indicating it is getting air from some other source (ie leaking head gasket). If coolant pressure system doesn't rise as the engine gets warmed up (ie once it reaches possible head gasket leak time), then something else might be the cause. Water pumps are cheap . . . it's just the elbow grease and labor getting everything off, then back on to see if that's the problem.

If it were mine and nothing above found problem, I'd start with Draining, then flushing out radiator to possibly remove any clog, also take off all coolant hoses and check them out. Refill and test. Still overheats, then go for the water pump, refill and test. Still overheating, bingo Head Gasket !

Comment

Thanks all of you for your suggestions. After all testing it has been determined the headgasket is blown. So now comes the rest of my question. Is there any concern about the CNG system in doing the headgasket job? I can't see physically anything that would be affected, but I'm no CNG technician either. I'm a little nervous about that point. The tank is empty, but we haven't turned the valve off underneath the passdnger side of the car yet.

Comment

just turn the gas off than treat it like a gasoline car than put the cng stuff back on check for leaks put all brackets back as found and check for leaks with soapy water not a matchLOL boom remember it is just a gasoline motor with stuff hung on it

Comment

Working...
            X