1996 vs post-2001 Ford Crown Vic Tanks and Brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 vs post-2001 Ford Crown Vic Tanks and Brackets

I'm looking at (still in 2005 donor vehicle) replacement tanks to replace the expired tanks in my 1996 P71 Crown Vic. My factory car uses the 10 GGE, four-tank, 3000 PSI configuration which are nearing their expiration date, according to fuel-filler door plate (Dec 2011).

Does anyone know (from checking factory parts manuals or from observational experience) if the later model (3600 psi) Crown Vic tanks use compatible brackets from the earlier 1996-2001-ish Crown Vics?

And are the mounting brackets interchangeable between the interior (package shelf) and exterior tank pairs? And if the brackets/tanks are different dimensional diameters, are the mounting points compatible?

Basically what I'm asking is: Can one exchange or interchange late model Crown Vic (2003-2005) factory (Not BAF converted) tanks and use the original 1996 brackets?

Have any other 1996 CV owners changed out their soon to expire tanks? Any insights would be helpful.

/Lee Shuster - Salt Lake City

Re: 1996 vs post-2001 Ford Crown Vic Tanks and Brackets

I've determined the 1996 Ford Crown Victoria CNG uses two DIFFERENT sizes of carbon reinforced steel tanks and brackets:

1. Inside (package shelf) are two, 222 mm (8.75 in) diameter tanks that are 95.25 cm (37.50 in) long. At 3000 PSI these two tanks hold a total of 4 GGE. The tank necks seal into a vapor vent box which ventilates thru a flex tube thru the drivers side rear wheel wheel. The extended-range option (which wasn't offered until later) uses a similar pair of tank-mounted tanks.

2. Outside (behind rear axle) are two 267 mm (10.25 in) diameter tanks that are 96.52 cm (38.00 in) long. AT 3000 PSI these two tanks hold a total of 5.9 GGE. These tanks vent to atmosphere.

Comment

I believe my 1999 has three under the rear where the liquid tank would normally be.

Comment

Originally posted by turnintires View Post
        I believe my 1999 has three under the rear where the liquid tank would normally be.
        If your Vic was factory-built (as opposed to after-market) then I'm fairly certain you have only a pair of external tanks, measuring 10.25 " dia x 38.00 " long. The external (outside the trunk) have different neck shape and vent to atmosphere. Factory-built Ford CV's used vent-boxes inside the trunk, which require a different shaped tank neck for proper sealing.

Comment

https://www.fleet.ford.com/downloads...ice_screen.pdf

This document contains the CNG gge capacities for the original factory setup. I concluded the following info from a glance at the attached pdf specifications:

Each under chassis tank is 2.25 gge @ 3600 PSI or 4.50 gge for the pair. (these tanks are known to interchange with mounting hardware of the original 1996 tanks)

Each in-trunk tank is 3.70 gge @ 3600 PSI or 7.40 gge for the pair. (these tanks are slightly larger diameter than the original 10.25" 1996, 3000 PSI tanks, they will not slide into the 1996 package shelf without modifications to the vehicle)

Comment

As for the trunk tanks you could talk to Brandon at cngtechnologies of Utah... about a year ago he pulled a single 6 GGE tank out of the trunk of my 1996 P71 bi-fuel and mounted a set of 3 that must have come from a 2001 or 2 setup. I do no know what he had to do to get it done.

Comment

Working...
            X