Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are they the same thing compuvalve and gfi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are they the same thing compuvalve and gfi?

I read a lot of posts and I though I had a compuvalve on my 98 f250. But on the unit reads teleflex gfi. so could someone tell me whats up?

Re: are they the same thing compuvalve and gfi?

GFI made the compuvalve and converted the trucks for Ford.
    www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

Bifuel Fords have Compuvalves. Dedicated Fords don't.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

Also, '03 and '04 bi-fuel F-150s do not have the compuvalve.
        Jared.
        Mountain Green, Utah
        2003 CNG Cavalier
        2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

No one has answered your question, but they are indeed the same thing. GFI had some financial problems early on and Teleflex bought controlling interest of the company (which was originally partially funded by the Canadian government). Even though Teleflex/GFI made some excellent products, the Compuvalve (both CNG and LPG) and LPG vaporizer were a dismal failure and may have been a significant part of the decline of alt fuel interest in the US for many years.

Comment

I'd say Franz hit that nail square on the head!!!
            Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Franz View Post
              No one has answered your question, but they are indeed the same thing. GFI had some financial problems early on and Teleflex bought controlling interest of the company (which was originally partially funded by the Canadian government). Even though Teleflex/GFI made some excellent products, the Compuvalve (both CNG and LPG) and LPG vaporizer were a dismal failure and may have been a significant part of the decline of alt fuel interest in the US for many years.
              Dismal failure.. A bit overstated. Every system has its problems, eg, Chev has always had great engines but vehicle quality problems, Honda transmission and replacement cost, Ford Contour is a lousy car with or without cng. FWIW, I think bifuel is the only system worth consideration unless you happen to live in LA, which leaves out Honda and Toyota. Ive had no problems with either of my Compuvalve equipped bifuel F150's in the three years Ive had them, both >100,000 miles, under heavy duty use towing trailers in Utah's mountains. My only complaint is hard cng starting when its been extremely cold outside, not with gasoline.
              Last edited by rtry9a; 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X