how to tell if you are running on cng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to tell if you are running on cng

I think I got the switch wired in correctly. When you turn the key green light flashes and gauges move. So my question is how do I know if the truck is running on cng? should the light stay on?

Re: how to tell if you are running on cng

Yes, the light should stay on when you are running on CNG. A flashing light indicates a problem with the CNG system, usually the compuvalve. Search through the Ford forum a little and you should find some useful information about what to check next.

If you're ever in doubt about which fuel you're running on, you can take a whiff of the exhaust. On a bi-fuel it will still be a little stinky on CNG because it has to go through the same exhaust system as the gasoline exhaust, but if it's running on gasoline there will be no question. On a dedicated vehicle it feels like a warm humidifier blowing in your face.

-Derek
    www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

i also am wondering about this. my truck sometimes starts on natural gas and sometimes in doesn't. sometimes it just switches while driving and i know im not out of gas. had a guy look at it and it wont switch while he had it. but i got it back and is still doing it. its an 02 4x4 f150!

Comment

My 2001 does the same thing. I've noticed it does it when it's cold and the CNG is low. It may not start on CNG, but once it's warmed up, I can stop and switch it. I think it's just something the system does when the pressure drops below the CNG threshold because of temperature.
        Max

Comment

Working...
        X