Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

98 Crown Vic Head gasket bad. Is the 4.6liter a standard long block something unique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Crown Vic Head gasket bad. Is the 4.6liter a standard long block something unique?

Hi,
    It looks like my head gasket is bad on my 98 Crown Vic 4.6 liter. Is this engine and heads standard or specialized for CNG?
    So I am wondering if the engine can be replaced with any 1998 4.6 liter long block and the CNG manifold etc can be attached to it?
    Any ideas or experience with it?
    Thanks

Re: 98 Crown Vic Head gasket bad. Is the 4.6liter a standard long block something uni

The cng enging suposedly has higher compression and special valve seats , however , ..... have a look at this post http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....ne-swap-advice ......and maybe send a pm to the member and see if this engine swap worked out long term.

Comment

Re: 98 Crown Vic Head gasket bad. Is the 4.6liter a standard long block something uni

Hi There!

I'm the guy that had the engine swap done in that thread above.. Yes, you can use the standard block and heads. I went from a 2000 nPI motor to a 2004 with the PI heads. 10k+ miles on it so far and it's running great! Here's a link with some more info..

Good luck!

Joe

Comment

Thanks for info. I have to figure if it is worth it or start over with a different car.

Comment

Yeah, I hear you, it's a tough decision. The motor was 1800 installed and I couldn't find a decent used crown vic for anywhere near that price. Also, I figured any used car I picked up might have something go wrong with it as well.. you never know. Plus, the new motor came with a warranty and is the newer PI design so I picked up a few horsepower.

I've heard some folks have had luck with those block sealer in a bottle fixes.

Here's a few links:

Link 1

Link 2

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you whatever route you take!

Comment

Working...
          X