coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coils

i need coils for 2002 f150 and i want help on what works and what is worth the money. at parts stores i am getting around 40 to 51 per coil brands vary borg varner, napa duralast, which is better? any experiences? i know ford says stay with motorcraft but they are 80 each. what about ebay variety? they are anywhere from 63 for all eight to 105 for all eight, brand unknown or rally, i know in most things you get what you pay for but this is a huge range, where would be a good place to be at in the range?

Re: coils

I bought all eight for $100.00 or so off ebay for my F250 SuperDuty. After I got them swapped out I made two trips to the east coast and one to AZ nearly loaded to the GCVW rating for the truck. It drank fuel like pouring water on the ground in the hills of NY/PA and in the mountains of AZ/NM, but I didn't have any problems.

As you can see, I wasn't towing a jonboat. Look familiar cnghal? Please tell Cotton I said howdy.

At ~$12.00 per coil, my "go/no-go" cost-to-benefit ratio analysis was a go.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jblue; 02-09-2010, 10:30 PM.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

i have also heard that it may not be the coils just the insulators, any experience? if the coils test ok would you still change them?

Comment

Originally posted by spork40 View Post
        .. if the coils test ok would you still change them?
        AFAIK, the only proper test for coils is done at the dealership. Testing for continuity and/or resistance does not simulate the load a coil is placed under when it is working. ie: the hysteresis of the inductor is out of spec at higher frequencies.

I don't know if you can buy just the insulators by themselves or not, but you get, or at least I got, new insulators with the set I got.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Working...
        X