using CV engine on other cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using CV engine on other cars

looking for some expertise if it is possible to use the engine and transmission from a Ford CV onto another car - i.e. onto a Jaguar XJS.
    Giving the long live CNG engines are prone to have it might be worth doing.

Re: using CV engine on other cars

If you have a lot of spare time and money . To make it street legal in CA , talk to a DMV Smog Referree before starting the project (Larrycng?) . Powertrain transplants can sometimes be done , hovever, the donor vehicle must be at least the same model year or newer and virtually EVERYTHING , engine, trans, ecu, pcu , sensors, etc. have to be complete and functional. The rules may have changed , so check before starting the project.

Comment

Lakewood is correct as far as he went. You will probably need to use engine and trans because the transmission is part of the emission system since it is computer controlled Use the Ford wiring harness it wil be easier. You will need all of the emission components listed on the under hood emission label to present and functional, including the check engine light and diagnostic connector. The speedo will be a problem.

No one will look at the rear axle ratio, but it will affect the shift points that were originally programed into the computer. Do a drive shaft graft. It may also affect the emission test results. I would try to fit the Ford CAT system to the Jag

Have a good time if there is room, money and time.

Larrycng

Comment

I bet it would be far easier to use a chevy 5.7 or 6.0. It would be harder to find a CNG doner vehicle but the fact that they make installation kits for those engines would make the project more doable. The most insurmountable problem is lack of space for a tank.

Comment

Spoke with the guys over at Daytech today and they wouldbe more than happy to work with you on this project. They have done some other conversions and if you take the 2 GGE tanks you could fit 5 or 6 in the trunk with room left over.
          If you have a chance to get to fairfield drop by thier shop it is a wonderful place to chat for a few hours. They are working on thier CNG hot rod over thier comeing alongvery nicely

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Talked to Daytech - and maybe I am naive, but spending $60-80k for this project was not what I had in mind.

Comment

Working...
            X