Just bought an F250, have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought an F250, have questions

i just picked up a 1999 Ford F250 4x4 extra cab. the guy i got it from bought it from an auction and had never filled the cng tanks. the bed is covered with a metal box that takes up half the back of the bed. so i open it up and there are two tanks in there and i was wondering how i can figure out what size these tanks are.

Re: Just bought an F250, have questions

The tanks will have a capacity in water volume, either in liters or gallons. From that you can calculate capacity at rated pressure. If it's an oem Ford, pressure of original tanks will be 3000 for that year.

Post the water capacity and one of the egg heads here will convert it into gge.
    Or have a look at this thread http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5986 .
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 01-08-2010, 10:33 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

i did not find the info you mentioned on the tank. i did talk to my neighbor who owns an f150. he said if its a factory install then its probably a 12 gallon tank. the second tank was installed in 2001 and i think its about a 10 gallon tank.
      the bad news is now it will no longer start on cng. it may be a filter so i will have it checked in the next day or two to find out.

Comment

Did the seller state that it runs on cng properly ? If so , you may want to go get your money back and give him the truck back. If it has a bad compuvalve, that will be hard to find and expensive to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
          i just picked up a 1999 Ford F250 4x4 extra cab. the guy i got it from bought it from an auction and had never filled the cng tanks. the bed is covered with a metal box that takes up half the back of the bed. so i open it up and there are two tanks in there and i was wondering how i can figure out what size these tanks are.
          Hello, look for volume dimension in "cf" on the cylinder label. Then take that number and devide it by 119.3 cf/gallon. For example, a cylinder with a volume of 1550 cf is devided by ~120 cf/gallon, which will give you approximately 12.9 GGE. Hope that helps.

Comment

thanks for the help guys. filled it on cng yesterday and it ran a half tank and then would not start on cng. i hope to get it to the shop tomorrow and get it figured out. my neighbor thinks its a filter. he said they have three inline filters that catch the oil that comes off the pumps. if that is the case it should only be 200 bucks to fix. i'll cross my fingers.

when i filled up i was only able to get 9 gallons in so the second tank is not filling. thats a bit frustrating for sure. hope to get this all figured out soon.

Comment

I also have a 1999 Ford F150. As you are probably aware, they are notorious for having bad compuvalves (extremely hard to find and fix) and bad high pressure regulators.

I put a second tank in my pickup because I didn't like filling up every 100-140 miles. I also found a new compuvalve and several high pressure regulators and so now have them as spares.

Look for the green light on your Gas/Alt switch. If it is constantly glowing green, then the compuvalve electronics 'thinks' things are OK. If it blinks, then the electronics have detected an issue, and if it doesn't glow green at all, then you need to replace fuses, etc. You can only set the Gas/Alt switch before turning on the ignition key, as doing so afterwards does nothing.

A very good and competent mechanic that knows these things is Brandon up in North Salt Lake at CNG Technologies of Utah. You can find him by searching on this forum.

Good luck!

Comment

had to have my system flushed but all is in working order now. filled up at the new pumps in orem and got 16 gallons in.

i do smell natural gas when the truck has been parked for a while. made the mistake of leaving it in my garage the other night and my whole house smelled like it in the morning. can i look for and fix a leak myself??

Comment

a spray bottle of soapy water... extra soapy... spray all the fittings and connections to find your leak

Comment

Working...
                  X