Rough accelration 2004 F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough accelration 2004 F150

Hi, I have a 2004 F150 Bi-fuel with 70K miles on it. It has been getting rougher and rougher on CNG and is now getting worse gas mileage as well. (10-12mpg down from 15-16). The issue is most noticeable when accelerating and just seems to have less power all around (more gutless than normal). I just replaced the sparkplug and am maybe thinking the coil packs next?

After a trip down to ST George this weekend, I noticed a burning anti-freeze smell after the drive. I checked all around the engine and could not find any leaks or corrosion leading to a cooling system leak. The truck runs totally fine on gas. I'm thinking that there may be a possibility that the regulator is failing and anit freeze is getting in with the CNG and getting burned??? What else should I consider.

Also, what is the warranty on this? 8year/80K? Does that include parts and labor or just parts? do I have to pay for diagnostics? How does this all work and where should I take it?

Thanks all!
    2000 Escalade (option 3 conversion) FOR SALE
    2004 F150 XLT (OEM conversion)
    2000 Camry (Awesome Car!!)

Re: Rough accelration 2004 F150

Any small coolant leak on the engine at or above the exhaust manifolds will cause the odor , and often you will not see any coolant liquid left. My Ranger had a small seepage from the heater control valve and landed on the exhaust manifold. Shows a stain where it lands, but it took a pressure test to find the source.

Most regulator / coolant internal leaks overpressurize the cooling system and force gas into the cooling system.

On the 8/80 , it is for certian emission performance related components. Those components are listed in the warranty booklet . Any Ford dealer can
    look it up. It should cover labor too , but only for specific components.

Running ok on gasoline and bad on cng often points to plugs/ coilpacks. Especially with a truck without a compuvalve.

Have you run isopropyl in the filter housing to clean the cng injectors lately?

Comment

I do need to do the injector cleaning. Can I just buy that at a drug store?, isn't that just rubbing alcohol? I have replaced the filter, so that should be a very easy first step.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes I believe so , it was what the Ford dealer used back when I had a dedicated cng Crown Vic bck in 2002. I dont know if the filter is suposed to be removed while the alcohol evaporates into the cng while the engine is running.

P.S. This is a Ford recomended procedure. Honda does not recomend attempting to clean injectors. Don't know about G.M. or Chrysler either.
        Last edited by Lakewood90712; 01-05-2010, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Just finished the alcohol flush and it did not help the rough idle/acceration. The other weird thing I notice with when I'm accelerating slowly and it shutters, the radio also cuts out. Maybe a battery & alternator test?

I'm looking at getting new coils, I only have 70K on the truck, but I guess it could still be a problem?

Comment

Cori, I talked to Andre from EcoFuel, he said to say hi. Jim
            Last edited by Curtis; 01-12-2010, 11:39 AM.
            Jim Younkin
            www.younkincng.com

Comment

my crown vic was doing that and after new coil on points runs great so go ahead and replace your coils asap.

Comment

Working...
              X