Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford is Actively Enabling the CNG/LPG Converters to Make High Quality Conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford is Actively Enabling the CNG/LPG Converters to Make High Quality Conversions

The below is from my contact at Ford. I think we are going to soon see many more certified conversion system offerings on the Ford vehicle platforms. Kudos to Ford for supporting the return of Natural Gas Vehicles into the marketplace -- even if for now they are not OEM product
    -------------------------------------------

Please understand that Ford Motor is actively enabling CNG and LPG converters to make high quality conversions.
    • Ford starts with providing a CNG/LPG -prep engine that has the appropriate durability (option 91G).
      • 2010 Econoline 5.4L 2V, 6.8L 2V.
      • 2011 SuperDuty 6.8L 3V
      • Others to be announced.
      • Where we don't provide a gaseous-fuel prep engine, Roush is refitting its own! (5.4L 3V).

• Ford instructs converters how to verify proper engine control to insure this durability (document Q-185).
    • Ford invites converters use the same companies we use to provide PCM (engine computer) software changes (Mahle, Roush).
    • Ford may grant converters access to a source of aged catalysts for CARB certification (Johnson Matthey, etc.).
    • Ford invites converters to use Livernois Engineering (does most of our crash prep and gaseous fuel vehicle build).
    • Ford invites converters to use Roush (who does most of our vehicle prototype build).
    • Ford invites converters to use our internal test facilities (at your expense), some of which are now accepting non-Ford customers.
    • Converters are asking for other forms of support and we are trying to respond positively to those requests.
    • Other Detroit engineering companies already aid Ford in OEM-quality engineering and the converters are welcome to contract with them. E.g. Mahle, Roush, Livernois Engineering, IAV, AVL, Ricardo, Watson, etc.

Please consider Ford first as you choose vehicles to convert.
    Attached Files

Re: Ford is Actively Enabling the CNG/LPG Converters to Make High Quality Conversions

This is great news. John; Do you know if anyone from Roush is on our board?

It would be interesting to know why Ford does not provide a 3 valve 5.4 gas fuel prep engine.

( Next time at the confessional , I will have to add " Forgive me Father, as I have had impure thoughts , like going to L.P.G.)
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 11-26-2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Re: Ford is Actively Enabling the CNG/LPG Converters to Make High Quality Conversions

Lakewood, come over to the "dark side" its really a lot of fun.
      Repeat after me; LP is good, LP is good, LP is good.

Larrycng (closet propaner)

Comment

LP is expensive.. LP is expensive.. hehe

Hell.. I'm driving a diesel now.. ;-) (Even getting a tax credit for it, AND traded in the CNG car as a clunker)
        1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
        2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

I don't know if it's the same with the new LPG systems from Ford but their old GFI systems would switch from propane to gasoline at ambient temperatures below 20F. So if you are in Utah that would mean you didn't even have the option of driving on Propane for about half the winter.

See the bottom of page 18 on this scan from the Ford Bi-Fuel User's Manual.
          Attached Files
          2004 Toyota Avalon bi-fuel
          2013 Tesla Model S 85

Comment

Working...
          X