99 crown victoria adding more tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 crown victoria adding more tanks

hi im new to cng vehicles, i don't know much about them. i just found a cheap crown victoria im thinking of buying but the owner says it only gets 250km or 150 miles. ive been reading about cng cars im kind of interested in getting this one. the crown vic owner is also selling 5 cng tanks that came out of another car. i was wondering would i be able to install these into the 99 crown victoria? would i be able to do it myself? thanks in advance.

Re: 99 crown victoria adding more tanks

Babu,

My guess is that it will depend on whether you were planning on fueling at home or at a public filling station and how close is one to you. If you can fill at home every night, the range becomes less of an issue if you are going to use the vehicle as a commuter car for local trips each day. If you do add more tanks, then I believe it becomes a issue of room to install the tanks, being willing to give up the trunk space, and again where you are going to fill up. If you fill up at home, the home dispenser may not be able to fill up those tanks every night depending on how much you use that day.

I am interested in other responses.

Bob
    Bob Baldwin
    2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
    2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Babu ~

My daily driver is a '99 Crown Vic. It had a range of 150 miles before the extended range tanks were installed. My system now has a +/- 13 gge capcacity and I get about 250 miles between fueling stops. That addition took up most of my trunk space. Between the full-size spare tyre and the fuel tanks my trunk now only has enough room for one large suitcase.

Figure 16-17 mpgge in city driving and 20-21 in highway driving. For some reason the 1999 and later models were not quite as fuel efficient as the earlier models. (I know, besides hearing complaints about the difference on this and other forums I also experienced it first hand when I drove a 1997 CNG Crown Vic.)

As for installing the tanks yourself, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are familiar with CNG systems. When the system is pressurized to 3,000 psi you can easily get hurt if you don't know what you're doing. (Factory 1999 Crown Vics have 3,000 PSI tanks.)

Bob's comments are right on target. If you're home fueling every night range isn't usually a problem unless you have an 80-mile commute, one-way. If you're dependent on public fueling stations you will need to consider whether there are any locations near your frequent driving routes. It was simple when I worked 1 block away from a fuelling station. Since I changed jobs I now must travel out of my way to fuel my car.

TC
      Last edited by Tax Counsel; 10-15-2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

So do you have many fueling stations in British Columbia?
        Bob Baldwin
        2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
        2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by babu View Post
          hi im new to cng vehicles, i don't know much about them. i just found a cheap crown victoria im thinking of buying but the owner says it only gets 250km or 150 miles. ive been reading about cng cars im kind of interested in getting this one. the crown vic owner is also selling 5 cng tanks that came out of another car. i was wondering would i be able to install these into the 99 crown victoria? would i be able to do it myself? thanks in advance.
          Hey Babu :

Before I purchase any Used vehicle, I ALWAYS get the vehicle inspected by a Good Mechanic.

If you need a real good CNG Mechanic contact Del at Del's Auto Service at 604-526-9811. This shop is located on Annacis Island. Del is a real good CNG Mechanic.

Also, just so that you know, there are only 14 filling stations in the Greater Vancouver area, and out at Hope, B.C. check out the following WEB Site :

www.cngprices.com

I, too, get about 260 KMs per fill.

Hope this helps.

Stu Man

Comment

WOW! Just checked your prices out on cngprices.com. It looks like it would be worth driving across the border pick up some CNG! $.74 in Vancouver. $.50 in Alberta. Might have to move to Canada just to get NG.
            Bob Baldwin
            2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
            2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Before you go to Canada for fuel---you may find the price is in liters, not gallons . Even the exchange rate is getting bad---now that the U.S. dollar isn't worth anything.

Comment

Shucks, and I already had family and relatives headed there.
                Bob Baldwin
                2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
                2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by BobBaldwin View Post
                  Shucks, and I already had family and relatives headed there.
                  Hey Bob :

Yup, ol' siai47 is correct. Our CNG Pump prices are in cost per Liter up here. We also sell our gasoline by the liter up here.

There are 3.78541 Liters to a U.S. Gallon, so multiply the CNG cost You see on cngprices.com by that figure.

Vancouver is really $2.80 per U.S. Gallon (.74 * 3.78541 = $2.80)

Just so You know, our 87 Octane Gasoline prices are currently hovering around $1.03 a Liter (1.03 * 3.78541 = $3.90), so give me the CNG pricing any day.

I'll let you do the math for the $1.16 per liter 94 Octane gasoline pricing

The Canadian and U.S. dollars are currently trading at almost par.

And Oh, just so you know. It is Saskatchewan with the .50 cent per liter CNG pricing, not Alberta But, you're still welcome here, in Canada, for the visit. Vancouver is hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics in February 2010. Can you say Gold metal Party ?

Stu Man
                  Last edited by Stu Man; 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X