bad tank valve, 98 ford e-350 dedicated cng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad tank valve, 98 ford e-350 dedicated cng

30 amp fuse under hood blew and stranded me on the road. replaced fuse and it blew again. unplugged electrical to main tank and it starts and fuse does not blow. Must be a bad tank valve. I will contact ford on Monday, but how can i drain the main tank to replace valve? can the valve be rebuilt? any suggestions?

Re: bad tank valve, 98 ford e-350 dedicated cng

Try this thread http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5422

Comment

thanks for the link...ford wants 870.00 for the part...any way to get one direct for less?

Comment

Attached is a picture of the Ford/GFI manual over ride tool inserted in the valve. This is not fully installed, but you can see the plunger that controls the fuel flow.

Mine is not as pretty as the factory tool -- but it sure do work and took about 15 minutes to make.

Larrycng
        Attached Files

Comment

can you use the override tool, leave it in the on position and operate the vehicle permanently or is it only used to drain the tank?

Comment

No Tom you can not, and thank you for reminding me. Once the override tool is used on a valve, Ford says the Valve must be replaced. The way it was told to me; there is a rubber seat on the end of the solenoid that can become dis-lodged and will not seal correctly. Besides, if you need to used the overide tool, the solenoid is probably bad and need to be replaced, which means replacing the whole valve. These valves are not serviceable.

The only manual thing you can do to this valve, repeatedly is the use of manual lock-down to manually isolate the tank. If you ever remove a manual lockdown (after disconnecting the solenoid valve and venting the system) you will see there is a plastic seat on the bottom of the lockdown that seals against a rounded surface in the valve (upper side of the hole where the override tool goes through to open the solenoid).

Forgive me for repeating safety precautions so often, it is a old habit, especially if I don't know a persons background.

Take Care

Larrycng

Comment

the valvle is labeled SVC. Does anyone have a source for these valves?

Comment

I know this is a very old thread but does anyone have a good source for a new valve. Also where can I get the tool for bleeding the tank? Does anyone have one I can use?

Comment

Working...
                X