Sticking fill valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking fill valve

My 2001 Crown Vic fill valve occasionally sticks after a fill up. Usually I can get it unstuck by turning the filler hose on and off a few times. Today it has stuck again and won't release. Of course I had my wife with me and she freaked as we drove home with the valve sending gas into the air. Once home it stopped after the key was off for a few minutes.

Is there a fix other than replacement? The dealer in SLC said something close to $2000 to replace. Is there anyone in Utah County that can work on this, hopefully for a better price?

Thanks

Re: Sticking fill valve

If that is newer style, without the manual by pass for defueling, there is a check valve at the open end that can get material stuck in it. If you know what you are doing, they can be taken apart fairly easily and inspected and cleaned out. (that how I got the one I have for a cutaway). I'll edit this response in a couple of days with a picture of the valve cutaway.

Larrycng

Comment

We have a used one we can put in for you for $450.00, if your interested just let us know.
      Lancer Automotive Group
      3687 South 300 West
      Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

http://lancerautogroup.com

Visit our Facebook pages
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lance...68469439838785

https://www.facebook.com/alternativefuelcenter?ref=hl

Comment

I had the same problem with my 2000 CV.

I took it to my local Yellow cab, which has a CNG CV fleet.

They replaced the o-rings in one of their extra receptacles and swapped it out for my leaky one for $100.

It's only been 2 days, but so far no leaks!!

Comment

Attached is a picture of later style Ford fill valve, which I believe you have. On left below the strainer is an O ring -- not shown. I put the body nut in a vise and wrench on the nut that is sectioned to separate. Don't over tighten and distort the body.

There are 2 more O rings that can be seen. To get O ring between the fill nozzel and intermediate body (part with the cutaway nut). You need to separate the two parts.

Your problem, I believe is in the brass section (the check valve). That comes out easily don't lose any parts. I believe there is spring missing in the picture.
          Use a lube on the NEW O rings when you re-assemble it ( if you take it apart)

Remember to lock off the tanks and vent down the system, before removing any fittings. And be careful with the O ring, on the "O ring Face connection between the valve and the fuel line (not shown)

Be careful, When in doubt, take it to professional like the ones in this thread

Larrycng
          Attached Files

Comment

I have this same issue with the check valve on a 2000 CV (3000 psi sys). I'm having trouble finding the isolation valve for it. the tank cover (upper trunk deck) is a pain to get off.

Comment

it's leaking when the ignition is off so are the tank valves bad too? I hear the click when you turn on the key but it makes no difference in the leak flow. there is no valves to turn off for isolating the check and recepticle except for the one going to the regulator and filter as far as I can tell.

Comment

right now I'm just letting it fully leak out of gas then break the fitting at the recepticle so I can get it out of the car. I'm wondering if I need new tanks though because of the pressure at the neck when power if off the tanks.

Comment

I know this is a little late in the post. I had this problem occasionally, then one time it was leaking so badly mist was coming out. I finally got it to stop after putting the filler nozzle back on and off a few times. One time, I couldn't even get the filler nozzle off. I mentioned this to my son who has a similar system. He said just to spray a bit of penetrating fluid in there. I gave it a few shots of PB Blaster or whatever the orange stuff is called. I haven't had a problem since and that's probably been several months and 15 - 20 fills.

Comment

Working...
                  X