ignition coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition coils

what is the best brand for ignition coils for the CNG system? i need to replace all coils and plugs and because CNG burns so much hotter i have heard that it makes a huge difference in the coils that you install. some brnads cannot support the heat and go bad very quickly. what has been others experience?

Re: ignition coils

Originally posted by spork40 View Post
    i need to replace all coils and plugs ..
    By way of a troubleshooting question .. how do you know that you need to replace the coils? If the engine is running okay without missing, feeling mushy under acceleration, or generating an ignition fault code, I would say let ride on the coils.

As far as I know, there is nothing extra special about the COP's for an NGV versus a gasoline engine. I priced COP's for my F-250 SuperDuty at a whopping ~$70.00 per from AutoZone. I next went on ebay and found this dude from IN selling them out of his basement all 8 for $100.00. I made two trips out to the east coast and back nearly at GVWR and one trip to AZ and back towing a big honking boat on my $100.00 COP's.

Not a lick of problems.

I would however make sure that your plugs are not fouled and that they are properly gapped. Make sure you blow out the spark plug hole before extracting the plug with an air compressor!!

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

while on cng i can feel a hesitation or a jumping while accelerating. i was told this would be due to my coils. i have an 02 bifuel f150 with 65K miles. would this be the cause?

Comment

while on cng i can feel a hesitation or a jumping while accelerating. i was told this would be due to my coils. i have an 02 bifuel f150 with 65K miles. would this be the cause?
        Normally, that would be the first place to look at for that type of symptom. However, Ford says to "Check vehicle for any driveability symptoms in gasoline mode. Repair any driveability symptoms in gasoline mode before diagnosing ALT fuel systems."

Translation: If it does not give you problems running on gas, chances are it is not a mechanical/electrical issue per se. Stranger things have happened, but since you mentioned that the truck is a bi-fuel and it is an 02 .. that means your CNG delivery system is what is called a Compuvalve. It is notoriously prone to failure and replacement parts are nearly non-existence.

The good news is that if you can properly wield a wrench, you should be able to disassemble it yourself, give it a good cleaning and put it back into service solving your problem.

Here is a thread that talks about doing it:

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthr...?t=3626&page=2

Hope that helps ..

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

anyone have experience with the coils for a 5.4L they sell on ebay for like $70 for 8? is it worth the savings? a parts store wants like $40 each. i have heard that normal coils from ford with cng will get you about 30K, how long have these cheaper ones lasted? what spark plugs do you reccommend as well? i have had my compuvalve checked and it looks good so i am going to try coils, plugs and o rings.

Comment

i know ford only reccommends motorcraft parts in their vehicles, but is it neccesary? what about spark plugs?

Comment

...anyone have experience with the coils for a 5.4L they sell on ebay for like $70 for 8? is it worth the savings? ...
              One data point for you... my daughter's 2000 Bifuel F150: the Ebay variety have been working great for over 20K miles (original OEM had ~ 100K when we did the tuneup; only issue prior to the the tuneup was that it took "too long" to crank and start on both fuels)

It's so hard to get at on this vehicle that it didn't make sense to me to not replace all the coil packs when we replaced the plugs (I had a recommendation to just go with OEM and not do anything fancy like IRIDIUM; so no opinion on your splark plug question)

Good Luck
              2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
              Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
              Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
              Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

do you remember the manufacturer of the ebay coils? even on there i see them anywhere from 69 to 100 per eight.

Comment

do you remember the manufacturer of the ebay coils? even on there i see them anywhere from 69 to 100 per eight.
                  I don't recall the mfg but I'm certain it wasn't Motorcraft. And now I see that they don't have any up for sale, but I purchased the set from these guys back in May of 2007... http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/f...dgeautomotive/
                  Last edited by CNGfamily; 09-14-2009, 03:25 PM.
                  2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
                  Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
                  Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
                  Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

The cheap ones are not Motorcraft. I would suggest Motorcraft or Visteon as they make them for Ford.

Comment

Working...
                    X