Get rid of the compuvalve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get rid of the compuvalve

Has anyone ever converted a Ford 5.4 bifuel to a baf or other system.
    My compuvalve is flaking out(like they do)and I was thinking since I already have the rest of the cng system in place why can't I pitch the compuvalve and retrofit some other metering system that I can still get parts for.
    Any thoughts?

Re: Get rid of the compuvalve

I dont know but if your truck is 10 years old and 120000 miles why dont you just outfit it with a impco 425 mixer and regulater just hose clamp it in your intake before the butterfly and ride and ride if your truck aint past its usefull life it would be tampering so you should not do it as than it would be ilegal

Comment

The truck is a 2000 f150 factory bi fuel 5.4 Triton,GFI system with a remanufactured compuvalve.The computer is not sending the pulsed current to the low flow injectors.It has a new regulator and the tank is good till 2015.
      I want it to burn has clean has possible and also be able to register it in Utah where it needs to be epa compliant.
      Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        I dont know but if your truck is 10 years old and 120000 miles why dont you just outfit it with a impco 425 mixer and regulater just hose clamp it in your intake before the butterfly and ride and ride if your truck aint past its usefull life it would be tampering so you should not do it as than it would be ilegal
        Cowboy: Where can I find out more about the Impco 425 Mixer and get some pricing? I have a 2001 F150 factory bi-fuel. I just bought it from a used car dealer that had several he bought at auction. My Compuvalve was dead and we tried swapping a known good one from a 1999 truck, with no luck.

I wouldn't mind retrofitting the Impco and I've got enought snap to take it off before I get an inspection.

Comment

do you lose any power with the mixer?

Comment

I also have a 2000 F150 with only 61K on it that I would love to remove the entire GFI system aside from the tank, and put in an aftermaket setup.
            Can anyone please give som insight on whether or not it is possible?

Comment

I have a 98 f150 bi-fuel with bad compuvalve and I have a 99 crown vic dedicated CNG with bad motor (lucky me) I was wondering if it was possible to put the dedicated system from the crown vic into the f150? If possible how hard would this swap over be? Did for make a dedicated 99 f150 using the same system as the dedicated crown vic?

Comment

This project would be possible. I hope you have good wiring diagrams there would be a lot of electronic work. You would have to swap out the engine computer from the crown vic to the PU (they are both EEC V and the plugs are the same 104 pin). The engine wiring harness from the CV may be able to be swapped into the truck, BUT you would have to use the wiring diagram to analyze the connection between the two engines. dont forget the injector driver module up by the radiator from the CV.

The question of the comp-u-valve and it associated wiring is next; you have to analyze what is/could be used for the OEM system. Back to the wiring diagram. I have noticed that Ford will many time use the same computer plug pin for the same job in many different vehicles (for example pin 78 is use to switch injector #2 or pin #41 is use for the ETC). You may be doing a lit of cutting, soldering, an hair pulling. You may have the engine compartment wiring harnesses (both vehicles) laying all over the living room floor. Masking tape and a pen should be used to tag the wires as you remove them from each engine. You might find it helpful to use a 3 column pad to identify each wire from the 2 computer plugs to see what each does

The only engine problem I can think of would be intake manifold, I hope they are both 4.6 engines. The rest of the NG components will switch out, you may have to modify some mounts.

You won't do this in one weekend, but it might be fun if you have the time (I'm a little warped)

Hope this help.

Larrycng

Comment

if you could find a 2003 cng system couldn't you swap that over to a truck to get rid of the compuvalve. i haven't had the chance to look at a 2003 but i know they don't run compuvalve and have heard that their injection system is different. wonder if you could do that?

Comment

I don't think the newer system would work because of the differences in the injection systems.
                    The newer injection system regulates the gas at the injector has opposed to the GFI system that regulates it at the compuvalve.
                    I think a fumigation system would work.

Comment

Ever have any success with this?

I'd like to get rid of my compuvalve too?

Comment

Strange thing the compuvalve.
                        I replaced my alternator on my 2000 f-150 10 months ago and the compuvalve is now sending the pulsed current to the low flow injectors and working great.There is a .6 increased output from the new alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by CurtisD View Post
                          Strange thing the compuvalve.
                          I replaced my alternator on my 2000 f-150 10 months ago and the compuvalve is now sending the pulsed current to the low flow injectors and working great.There is a .6 increased output from the new alternator.
                          That is very interesting to know.

My compuvalve works sporadically. But seems to work more often on days when I am not putting a load on the electrical system. (Previous owner seems to have had electrical system troubles that they had the dealer work on and there are some burnt wire in an otherwise immaculate engine compartment) When I bought the car, the seller emphasized that he put in a new battery - and btw, the compuvalve green light worked very well during my test drive.

I do suspect there might be something linked to having enough amps in the battery. But I have not had a chance to test it out by using an external battery charger and volt/ohm tester to see if I can get it to work better.

Looking at parts on RockAuto, I see that the 2000 Contour has a 105 Amp alternator, but they have option for a 130 Amp alternator. Debating whether I want to pump $166 more into this car.

Maybe I'll just hook up jumper cables to another car and have them both running to see if extra juice makes it work any better?
                          Last edited by BillHoo; 07-13-2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BillHoo View Post
                            That is very interesting to know.

My compuvalve works sporadically. But seems to work more often on days when I am not putting a load on the electrical system. (Previous owner seems to have had electrical system troubles that they had the dealer work on and there are some burnt wire in an otherwise immaculate engine compartment) When I bought the car, the seller emphasized that he put in a new battery - and btw, the compuvalve green light worked very well during my test drive.

I do suspect there might be something linked to having enough amps in the battery. But I have not had a chance to test it out by using an external battery charger and volt/ohm tester to see if I can get it to work better.

Looking at parts on RockAuto, I see that the 2000 Contour has a 105 Amp alternator, but they have option for a 130 Amp alternator. Debating whether I want to pump $166 more into this car.

Maybe I'll just hook up jumper cables to another car and have them both running to see if extra juice makes it work any better?
                            Tha wont fix your problem what will in fact is you googling VOLTAGE DROP TESTING you have a dirty connection somewhere now go find it =)
                            Ken's Master Auto Care

1998 Cavalier CNG

1972 Chevy Blazer Twin turbod Duramax in it, 12.8 @105MpH 505 rwhp 1109 rwtq

Still in the works
                            1969 Camaro Cstm blt 87 vette frnt susp 6 pot 13" frnt brks rack and pinnion Dana 60 w Cstm Lateral-Dynamics 3 link rear susp 4 pot 12" rr brks 18X10 frnt 18X12 rr Bozeforged Speedsters, on the list still is
                            Gforce T56 6speed gen3 427 Ci Twn turbo

Comment

Try cngarc.com. We just sent one to them to rebuild. We just found the company we haven't had any other experience with them and are waiting to get it back to try. He tests and replaces anything that is bad. Much cheaper than replacing the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X