Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cutting out

Hello,
    I have a 2002 Ford F-150 bi-fuel. It has been cutting out going up hills and today it actualy quit while I was going up hill. This happened in the CNG mode, but it also seems to be running rough (though not as rought) with the regular also. I think I am going to take it in, but any ideas on what could cause this? I am confused because there is no check engine light or anything. I don't know if that is a good sign or a bad one. Thanks for any ideas and if anyone has experience with Utah CNG mechanics feel free to let me know. Thanks,

Re: Engine cutting out

The compuvalve might just need a good cleaning. Check out the thread that goes into great detail about how to do just that.

But it might need a new set of COPs and plugs since you seem to have symptoms in petrol mode.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Could also be the O2 sensors, they help control mixture for both CNG and gasoline.
      Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Try cleaning the MAF sensor with an electronics cleaner. But don't use anything else. The MAF is on the air cleaner tube and regulates air/fuel mixture. A faulty sensor can cause stumbling going uphill due to lack of air flow into the cleaner box. You'd need a special t-20 "security" screw to remove the sensor from the housing. This is something highly recommended on all F series pickups.

While you're at it, check the hose going into the throttle body on the top back of engine, passenger side for leaks.
        Last edited by alliedmotors; 07-24-2009, 12:10 PM. Reason: add detail

Comment

I had this very same problem on an '01 bi-fuel truck, except it would miss on the flat as well. I paid for the very expensive tune-up (i.e. coil packs, plugs, o-rings, etc) at a reputable CNG shop. Even got the compuvalve replaced under warranty at the dealer. Worked like a charm for about 25,000 miles. Then it started happening all over again just like before.

Finally after tons of research, speaking with mechanics, other F-150/250 owners I figured out the fix. I bought a Honda Civic GX.

Comment

Working...
          X