F-150 cruise control?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-150 cruise control?????

Anybody install cruise control into their cng F150? I am just wondering if I can get the parts from a gasoline truck at a salvage or do I need something special.

Re: F-150 cruise control?????

I've been wondering the exact same thing!

I dunno if the PCM would support a cruise mod it if came off the line sans cruise. Firstly, one would need to assume that even if the feature is unused, the wiring is still present.

If that is the case, in my examination of the wiring diagrams, a) we would need a new steering wheel assembly and b) the servo motor that goes on the throttle body.

I have not taken it past a mental exercise and actually started tracing the wires out yet.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Wow, your reply was way over my head. However, I have a mechanic friend and will get his thoughts on it later in the week.

Comment

Don't really know, but suspect it might be easier to just get an aftermarket unit.

Comment

So I have found some aftermarket units on line but I am just wondering, is this all there is to it? I would suspect there is more to it than just this.

http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com...14/fseries9703

Comment

I'm not sure anymore either. There used to be a vacumm cylinder that would mount under the hood to actuate the throttle linkage. And a sensor and magnet for the drive shaft for speed sensing.

But, with all the computer controls anymore, it could be it just plugs into the computer. Not sure when Ford went to fly by wire. But, my 04 superduty does not even have a throttle cable. The "gas pedal" is really just an input to the computer.

You might be able to do a search for the unit and see if you could download an owners manual to see what it take to install it.

Comment

I did it on my 2000 f150 bi-fuel.
              used all junkyard parts.
              works well.

Comment

Randy, I wonder if you can tell me all the parts it required? Is the truck is basically pre-wired? Parts I can think of are: steering wheel, servo and cable, and brake pressure switch. Is the airbag clockspring wired for the switches or did you have to replace that as well? Thanks Karl

EDIT: I just looked at our 2000 dedicated and found the connectors for the servo and brake pressure switch. I did NOT find the port on the brake master cylinder for the pressure switch and Napa shows different master cylinders for with and without cruise. Also there is a fused harness that plugs into the pressure that is part of a recall that we will need as well.
                Last edited by karlhafen; 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

I got a electrical manual, steering wheel with switches off of ebay.
                  The servo and cable is one piece and I got it from a local junkyard.
                  You may want to get a clock-spring from a junkyard too.
                  I took my clock-spring apart and soldered the wires myself. The ribbon has enough contacts, there just not connected to the connector.
                  I put a jumper in the connector that would go to the master cylinder kill switch and did not use the master cylinder kill switch.
                  Ford had a problem with that switch causing fires!!
                  The rest was basically plug and play. -The electrical manual really helped a lot...
                  The cruise light on the dash even works.

I did this 4 years ago so i hope i'm not forgetting anything else....

Comment

Working...
                  X