Leaking fuel nozzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking fuel nozzle

I am new to CNG vehicles and recently bought a used 2002 Ford F150 Bi fuel that runs great. Having only owned it for a week, I may not even get the terminology correct when describing my problem. It did not come with a dust cap, but I had no problems filling it up until after I took it camping (dirt roads).
    Words cannot explain how I felt after filling the CNG tank I heard a loud hissing sound coming from the filler nozzle on the truck! I had no clue what steps I should take. I still don't. The leak and the awful hissing sound eventually stops and I can drive the vehicle on regular gas with no problem. When I flip the switch on the dash to CNG and turn the key (not to the cranking of the engine), the hissing starts again from the filler valve. I turn the key off and eventually the hissing stops.
    Lacking a mechanics manual for the ford F150 (where can I purchase one?), I have used information from this site to hypothesize about the problem. I think the switch controls the solenoid. The solenoid, when open, charges the lines and the pressure causes the leaking fuel filler nozzle. If I knew the system I could deduce better which valves are failing, but I think there must be a valve in the fuel filler that is failing along with another check valve somewhere else in the line that is failing as soon as the solenoid is opened, also trips.
    I don't like this theory because it will probably cost me a lot of money. I read a thread about someone putting lip balm on the o-ring and fixing it. I think I like that solution much better than the one I am currently thinking of. Please, feel free to sound in on this. I have learned a ton just reading your past threads to others on this site. Thanks to all who contribute.

Re: Leaking fuel nozzle

I would try putting another gge into it and see if that knocks the dirt out. Do it where you can leave the truck outside until it leaks out.

Otherwise, I think you have little choice but to replace the fill fitting. Any Ford fleet dealer or CNG mechanic should be able to handle it.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Had the same problem with my Ford 2001 150. I did it myself with a little help from the mechanic that Auto Excellence (West Jodan, Ut) uses. I bled off the gas outside by slowly lostening the nut on the backside of the cng fill fitting. After cng was out I removed the fill valve. Took the valve apart and replaced the "O" rings ("o" rings can be purchased many places i.e autoparts stores). Put a little "O" ring grease on them and reasemble. My truck fill valve never leaked again.

Comment

Be sure to get a dust cap on it once you get it working... that is a violation of code to not have a cap.

Comment

I was planning on getting the dust cap more to keep out future dust, but it is good to know about the code as well. I plan on taking the advice that has been given to try putting in more cng and hope for good things. I HD some advice about taking the valve and replacing o rings. Did you need special tools? Where do you get a manual? I don't think it is that complicated, but was it very difficult? Thanks again for the info and the advice.

Comment

No you do not have to get special tools. Just turning nuts so a good set of open end wrenches. You might get manual through Ford or Ebay. My truck came with manual. Google breakdown of valve. Maybe something will come up?

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. I moved the vehicle to a safe place and stRted to let the cng vent and the problem fixed itself. Besides scaring the crap out of me, this experience has made me want to learn more about how the vehicle operates. Now I need to order a dust cover. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolan View Post
                Thanks to all who responded. I moved the vehicle to a safe place and stRted to let the cng vent and the problem fixed itself. Besides scaring the crap out of me, this experience has made me want to learn more about how the vehicle operates. Now I need to order a dust cover. Thanks again.
                You can purchase the dust covers here by clicking this Link Good Luck.
                Last edited by NGXV; 01-31-2010, 12:51 AM.

Comment

You can also use a silicone lubricant to spray into the valve. FM recommends using silicone lube on the nozzle too. A leaking valve is a bugger in the dead of winter in the north as the decompression causes frost in the valve and icing on the oring. The other types of lubes can cause problems though.

Comment

Is this silicone spray something I get at Homedepot or walmart or do I need to order this? Thanks for the info, I want to do everything possible to avoid a future leak.

Comment

In respones to the leaking fuel nozzle, Yes the problem is more than likely the check valve in the nozzle. Ford, unlike other manufacturers, only used one check valve in line, the one in the filler. If you take the nozzle apart, make sure of the manufacturer of the check valve. Parker check valves, which Ford has used, do not use O rings. You will need to get a Parker rebuild kit. If they are O rings, you will want to replace them with O ring made of 90 Durometer Viton . They will last almost forever and withstand the changes in pressure better then anything else. Any good fitting supply house should have them. Google Parker fittings to find a place near you. If you, or someone you know is handy, you should add another check valve in line between the filler and the tank. MAKE SURE THE ARROW ON THE CHECK VALVE IS FACING THE RIGHT DIRECTION. THEY SHOULD FACE TOWARD THE TANK.

Hope this helps,
                      AVSG

Comment

One more item I forgot, make sure you lube the O rings when you install them. When you source the O rings, ask about lube for them

AVSG

Comment

Working...
                        X