2000 Contour fuel milage range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Contour fuel milage range

I'm considering purchasing a 2000 CNG Contour. Any idea what the fule mileage range is?

Also, any issues I need to consider before I purchase?

I have heard that engine performance dropps off as the tank empties, I assume this is due to a drop in pressure. Is this true?

Thanks,

Rick

Re: 2000 Contour fuel milage range

Haven't heard that about performance. A friend has a Bi-Fuel Contour and loves it. The Achilles heel with Ford Bifuels is the Compuvalve -- if that's goes, it's toast.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

From the only one on this forum (so it seems) with a fine running 2000 Contour:

*I can go 135 miles on a CNG fill up with freeway driving after a slow home fuel up.
      *Only about 95-110 miles in city driving
      *35 - 38 MPG highway on either CNG or gasoline. That's good mileage.
      *About 23 or more MPG city driving.
      If the "compuvalve" has never been replaced and it still runs on CNG, you may soon have a gasoline only Contour. See other posts on the forum regarding this dreaded beast component. Mine was replaced under warranty, and all is well. [I understand that now they are next to impossible to replace or find anyone who has been successful at repairing one].
      Engine runs same all the time on CNG up to the point that it automatically switches to gasoline. Slightly more power noted using gasoline.
      If you take a test run and the green LED is not lit when the selector switch is in the ALT mode, it is NOT running on CNG. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That LED is the indicator that the CNG system in functioning. No light = no CNG. (Steady light, no blinking)
      Good luck!
      '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
      '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
      FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

I get 90-120 miles fast filling at the local PG&E station, lower end of the range is city driving.

Comment

I sure wouldn't pay too much. I just purchased one off eBay and I believe the seller completly misrepresented it as a running vehicle. The CNG side doesn't function at all. I had to spend $250 just to get the thing running. The eBay buy back program doesn't apply because it isn't the engine, transmission, frame, or body. Also since I already fixed the other problems it had I am not able to get re-imbursed for that. I would make dang sure the CNG works before you buy. I paid $2000 and I could have bought a gasoline only one locally for around 1500 to 1800.
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by cnguser View Post
            Not so fast... I just got home from Iraq, and to my surprise my wife has kept our 2000 Contour running strong.

I bought it in December of 2007, and the compuvalve was nearly dead. I replaced it with a $20 Pick-n-Pull compuvalve from a 99 and it has great ever since.

With a Springville 3000 PSI fill, it almost always runs out of CNG at 120 miles. I did squeeze 3800 in there once in Springville, and got 150 miles out of it.

I'm not sure why, but it likes to run out at 120 miles regardless of whether I'm driving on the freeway or city streets.

Comment

had to replace the compuvalve and switch on ours...runs great now

usually get 100 miles on CNG (station fill) with mostly city driving
              '01 Crown Vic

Comment

Originally posted by cnguser View Post

*I can go 135 miles on a CNG fill up with freeway driving after a slow home fuel up.
                *Only about 95-110 miles in city driving
                *35 - 38 MPG highway on either CNG or gasoline. That's good mileage.
                *About 23 or more MPG city driving.
                If the "compuvalve" has never been replaced and it still runs on CNG, you may soon have a gasoline only Contour. See other posts on the forum regarding this dreaded beast component. Mine was replaced under warranty, and all is well. [I understand that now they are next to impossible to replace or find anyone who has been successful at repairing one].
                Engine runs same all the time on CNG up to the point that it automatically switches to gasoline. Slightly more power noted using gasoline.
                If you take a test run and the green LED is not lit when the selector switch is in the ALT mode, it is NOT running on CNG. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That LED is the indicator that the CNG system in functioning. No light = no CNG. (Steady light, no blinking)
                Good luck!
                Thanks for this info. I recently purchased a CNG Contour and was thinking that if the light does not stay lit, it's not running on CNG.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerpwr View Post
                  had to replace the compuvalve and switch on ours...runs great now

usually get 100 miles on CNG (station fill) with mostly city driving
                  Where did you find replacements for these and where are these components located?

Comment

Working...
                  X