Help new here 99 f250 with GFI propane system not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help new here 99 f250 with GFI propane system not working

help any one i just bought a 1999 ford f250 and it has a GFI propane system. but its not working the switch has one steady light then flashes 3 times but gas gauge still goes down so i know im not running on my propane!!! if i pop the hood i can smell propane but i do know a little propane goes along ways!!! i know nothing about this system i have tryed calling GFI but its like a black hole can anyone help????? an i just turning it on wrong i have no manual with it.. and side note how do you tell how much propane is left?

Re: Help new here 99 f250 with GFI propane system not working

This is CNGCHAT, but we do discuss Propane and Propane accessories from time to time.

It sounds like you have an oem Ford duel fuel system with the Dreaded GFI Compuvalve.

The bad news is GFI as you already know. The good news is, although new or rebuilt CNG Compuvalves are almost impossible to purchase , Brand New Propane Compuvalves can sometimes be found on Evil Bay .

Time for the Propane crew to chime in.

Comment

If it's anything like the CNG systems your propane gauge reads empty or full according to your tank pressure, you should be able to tell how much propane is in the tank when you switch over even before you start the car. My GFI CNG uses the same fuel gauge as the gas tank does.

Comment

The GFI Lp system does not use the same method of fuel level indicator as the CNG system. Vehicle propane tanks ususally have a float operated fuel level built into the tank. There is and sensor that either detects needle movement of the fuel level indicator on the tank or there is a unit with a transducer that replaces the outside part of the level indicator and feeds a signal the the compuvalve to be translated into a fuel level reading.

After you get past the pressure regulator/vaporizer the operation of the compuvalve is basically the same as CNG version.

I know where they may be a GFI LP manual, if I can get my hands on it, but that woun't be until late October.

Hope that helped

Larrycng (& LP)

Comment

Working...
        X