Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-150 Help

aaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by boomr; 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM.

Re: F-150 Help

You should take to a CNG mechanic. The leak could be the problem and if not they should be able to perform the proper diagnostics.

Comment

CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Got the bad news from the CNG mechanic today. He said it needs a new main module (compuvalve?) 2 relay modules and all coils need to be replaced. They said they did not hear a leak but that it will not switch over to CNG. Not sure what to do here but any suggestions would be helpful. At a repair cost of $7500, you can guess that I do not plan on repairing this vehicle at the dealer.

Comment

So I went and picked it up because I am not paying 7500 to fix this thing. The receipt from the service department says:

"needs compuvalve regulator and power module"

Looks like my only option is to sell the vehicle to someone who would want a f150 that does not work on cng. Guess I could always take out the tank and sell it on ebay or something.

Comment

2001 F150, starting at square 1, power panel fuses

My F150 has not run on CNG since I got it. Runs great on gasoline though. So I was pouring through the many pages on The Ford forum, trying to see what I can do to try and diagnose this thing and found some things that I think can help me. I found a thread about the power panel near the battery. I found it in the truck and it says GFI so it's got to be part of the cng system. It should have 2 fuses and 2 relays according to the thread on here. Well it has the 2 relays but no fuses. Does anyone know what kind of fuses I should stick in here and see what happens? I took it to a local dealer and they just wanted to replace everything ($7500). I am trying to determine if sending the compuvalve to be rebuilt will help or if there are other things to check first.

Comment

Re: 2001 F150, starting at square 1, power panel fuses

Hello,
            I have a 2000 bi fuel with the same fuses.The top is a 10 amp and the one below it is a 3 amp. I would replace those fuses and cross my fingers.
            Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks so much for the help, I want to figure it out. So I got the fuses and installed them. With both fuses in, the truck will not start. Turn the key and it will crank and crank and crank. It's almost like the fuel pump is shut off when the fuses are in. I removed one fuse and the truck starts fine. I removed the other and put the first back in and it starts fine. Any more ideas where to go next???

Comment

I probably should have mentioned that even with the fuses in, there is no light on the switch in the cab.

Comment

I am not sure what is going on with your truck.If you have no light at the switch with all the fuses in it is probably the switch or the compuvalve. You can try resetting the compuvalve by turning the ignition on but not starting the engine.Then within 10 seconds flip the alt/gas switch back and forth 5 times,that is suppose to reset the compuvalve back to the factory paremeters.

Comment

Compuvalve issues? 2001 F150

2001 F150 does not work on CNG. The light on the switch does not light up. I took apart and cleaned and inspected the internals of the compuvalve. It all looks new. Next I checked all of the wiring to the switch and found that the wiring is good. The LED and switch also should work fine. Still no light on the switch in alt fuel mode. Then I checked the connections from the compuvalve to the PCM. Again all good.

The only thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the electronics in this compuvalve which is odd because it literally looks brand new inside there. Is there any way to check it other than hooking it up to a known working 2001 CNG F150?

Any other ideas?????

Comment

Welcome to the world of Compuvalves!

Once, during a class, one of my students diagnosed a bad Compuvalve. A replacement was installed, the vehicle started, but a new set of symptoms appeared, different from the first set. Again, a defective Compuvalve was diagnosed, a replacement located, and reinstalled.

Surprise! Another set of problems appeared, and the Compuvalve replaced, yet again. This time, it would not even run. Back to the first Compuvalve, and the original symptoms returned. This confirmed the original diagnosis. Installing the original Compuvalve on a known good vehicle confirmed that the problems followed the Compuvalve.

The hard part occured when my student tried getting the local Ford dealer to accept all of the defective Compuvalves. The vehicle was a 1999 F-150

Franz

Comment

So I got a used compuvalve that was guaranteed to work. I installed it and the truck fires right up and runs fine on cng. Green light works and everything. After a minute or two it would stall. So I popped the hood and heard a leak. Found it and tightened the fitting to stop the leak. I decided while I was under there, that I should install the compuvalve bracket so it wasn't bounding around under the hood. After tightening the screws, the green light would not even come on. So I loosened the screws and same thing. Next I took out the compuvalve electronic connector and reinstalled it. Sweet, green light came back on. Only problem is it won't start on cng. It will turn over and over but it is as if there is no fuel getting to the engine. Also the check engine light came on when the green light is on. I will hopefully be able to hook up a scan tool monday to see what it says. I am just happy the green light is on.

Comment

Hopefully I just mashed the injector wires or selenoid wires since I have extras on the other compuvalve. I will check them out in the morning.

Comment

boomr:

Did you ever consider that the problem might be between the CNG fuel filter and the compuvalve? When you took it in to the Ford mechanic did he try replacing the high pressure CNG fuel filter and flushing the fuel lines and compuvalve with solvent? Also, when you put in the used compuvalve, were the two fuses in place that you spoke of earlier?

Comment

Think I figured it out. The truck now runs well on CNG. I must have not had the ribbon connector in properly. I took the boards out of the older dirty used working compuvalve and put them into the one that came with the truck that does not work but I did clean it all out and rebuild it. It works fine and drives well. Hope this thread can help somebody as much as it has helped me.

I will try and clean out the coalescent fuel filter. As far as the dealer who does CNG, he wanted to replace the whole system for the low fee of $7500. I have talked to other CNG truck owners who have been to Bob Hurley Ford also with similar problems and they were all given the same answer....replace everything for $7500.

The two fuses were in when I installed it the second time which may explain why it did not function at the time.
                              Last edited by boomr; 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X