2000 Clown Vic Heater Core Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Clown Vic Heater Core Replacement

Well its been a couple of weeks since I purchased my first 2000 Clown Vic CNG. The vic has 310,000 miles and runs great, but needed a heater core.

After some research I realized why it had not been changed. The whole dash needed to be taken apart and removed. I started to pull the dash out per the FSM (not the best details either) I spent about 5 hours taking my time taking everything apart carefully. Once I finally got the heater core out I called it a night and went to bed.

I took one day off as I was not looking forward to putting the whole mess back together. Next I popped in the new heater core and had a heck of time getting the heater/ac box to line up on the holes on the firewall . After about an hour I realized that one of the studs that has nuts on both sides of the fire wall has to be bolted onto the box first, and then it will line up on the fire wall and then can be bolted on from under the hood area. Assembly went very quickly after this, within two hours I had everything completed and FINALLY I HAD HEAT!

Now that I know what to do I think I can swap a heater core out from start to finish within 2-4 hours. But hell why would I want to do that again. I have heard they charge about $500.00 labor only for this job and now I know why. The heater core cost me about $50.00 bucks from autozone.

I would not recommend anyone to do this job. But if you have to save the money its well worth the time and effort. Take your time and be careful not to break anything. Lots of plastic parts here.

I plan to put about 500 miles on the vic before I get it repainted. I want to make sure everything else mechanically is sound. Oh yea of course the head lights are faded as most old clown vic. They are also on the list to be replaced soon.
    Last edited by CNGCARS; 12-27-2008, 10:00 PM.
    Mario
    AAA CNG SYSTEMS
    CSA Certified CNG Cylinder & Fuel System Inspector

Re: 2000 Clown Vic Heater Core Replacement

Don't feel bad, It took me 11 hours (including lunch) to do a heater core on a 92 T-bird which included disconnecting the A/C evap. (... and I'm a fair wrench and a lot of instrumental pannel and under dash electrical work when I was younger --1960's)

Welcome to the world of today

Larrycng

Comment

That reminds me of the time I worked in a friends shop as a mechanic. I had to replace a heater core on an old Mercedes SL. Under the dash was a small plate that I removed to get access to the firewall, It was a piece of cake, I loved working on those (Mercedes) cars. We tore down a V8 and I could not believe the engineering on just the head gaskets.
      I had a 66 Olds and could not get the heater core out without a small cutting tool, which I did not have, and went without heat until I junked it in 85 with over 300,000 miles on it
      Enjoy your clown!
      BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Yea guys I don't understand American car auto makers making it so hard to get to the heater core AND fuel pumps. These items should have access panels with easy access. While I believe American cars have improved 100% on the drivetrain since the early 1980's, somethings still really make no sense on them.

Thanks for you input guys! And yes I will enjoy my Clown Vic, I love big,fast, roomy safe cars! Rides like a dream next to the small compact cng cars!
        Last edited by CNGCARS; 12-29-2008, 09:15 PM.
        Mario
        AAA CNG SYSTEMS
        CSA Certified CNG Cylinder & Fuel System Inspector

Comment

You can save a ton on money on your headlights. Checker Auto sells a reconditioning kit for about 25 bucks that worked like a charm on my 99 interceptor.

It includes polish, wet sandpaper, and 2 buffing pads that fit into a drill.
          I highly recommend it.

Comment

I cleaned up the one on my '97 F 250 with 400 and 800 grit wet paper, then some red cutter and some mirror glaze, that works also. If you really want to work hit it with 1500 grit wet papaer before the red cutter

Larrycng

Comment

Working...
            X