Contour issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contour issues

Call me with questions, even if you do not buy from me. I sincerely mean that. Some things to look out for such as 2001 Civic GX, they are cheap for a reason. And any year Contour.

Murphy
    CNGMotors
    602-331-4700
    sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
    SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
    2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
    1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
    2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Re: Dealer List

Originally posted by CNG MOTORS View Post
    Call me with questions, even if you do not buy from me. I sincerely mean that. Some things to look out for such as 2001 Civic GX, they are cheap for a reason. And any year Contour.

Murphy
    CNGMotors
    602-331-4700
    I have had a 2000 Ford Contour for over a year and it runs great, no problems. I have followed the recommended maintenance at designated intervals and have had no suprizes. Can you be specific about Contour problems?

767Flyguy....a happy Contour driver

Comment

Re: Dealer List

80-100k miles you will begin to lose things like, motor mounts, transmission, and compuvalve. Sometimes the tranny doesn't go out entirely you just lose reverse. It will give you some warning though, It will take more and more gas to get the car to back up. The compuvalve is the major failure though at $1200 to replace, if you can find one. I have sold over 30 of these in my early days and found all this out the hard way. Great starter vehicle to get into CNG just don't expect it to last much longer past 100K. Fuelmaker no longer makes 3000 psi equipment, Even in 2002 Ford switch everything over to 3600 psi. GM and Honda had used 3600 psi fromthe very begining.

Of the 30 that I sold there was not one car that required something major to repair. The car was not designed very well (otherwise Ford would still be selling them) and the CNG system on top of a bad design was incorporated into the car with it's own bad design. I.e. your compuvalve is mounted to the underside of the engine about 6 inches from the ground. I no longer sell these vehicles or accept them in on trade.
      sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
      SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
      2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
      1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
      2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

Re: Contour issues

I had a Contour a couple of years back. The transmission went out at just over 40,000 miles. But on the bright side they do have more trunk space on their CNG model than a Cavalier.

Comment

MiamiCNG1, I moved your post re: Crown Vic CNG computer to a new thread to keep this on the Contour topic.

Please follow it here, thanks!
          http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819

Comment

I was considering a Bi-fuel contour being sold for $2600. Seriously, there aren't any sellers in my area (New York) and this guy is listed on eBay with good feedback. I spoke to the guy and he said I can visit and inspect the vehicle. After reading the above comments, is it even worth visiting?

Comment

On the other side of the fence, I have owned two of the 2000 year model, and still have one. The one just sold and one I still have are in fine condition, just that I wanted to go all CNG and bought a 2008 Civic GX.
              From what I have seen on the forums, your best bet would be a 2000 year model, nothing older - that seems to be where most of the posted problems came prior to 2000 model.
              Yes, both of mine had to have the compuvalves replaced, but fortunately that was covered under Ford federal emissions warranty (8 yr-80,000 miles). This is not to say the engine won't fall out of mine tomorrow, but hey folks, that is life and the risks we all take owning anything.
              '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
              '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
              FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Well the truth about Fords from a 22 year auto tech. I wouldnt wish one on my worst enemy
                Fords Buy me LOTS of things incl my house and cars (umm they are all Chevrolets) they fill my bays with work every single day.
                Dodges Ooh yea I love them to

Ford allways has and will continue to make the most thoughtless designs

Hmm Hondas? Toyotas? Asian cars.. What are those?

German cars I REALLY love them one of them pays for 3 times the american cars repairs

FLAME SUIT ON
                Last edited by Madspeed; 01-17-2008, 07:53 PM. Reason: Forgot my flame suit
                Ken's Master Auto Care

1998 Cavalier CNG

1972 Chevy Blazer Twin turbod Duramax in it, 12.8 @105MpH 505 rwhp 1109 rwtq

Still in the works
                1969 Camaro Cstm blt 87 vette frnt susp 6 pot 13" frnt brks rack and pinnion Dana 60 w Cstm Lateral-Dynamics 3 link rear susp 4 pot 12" rr brks 18X10 frnt 18X12 rr Bozeforged Speedsters, on the list still is
                Gforce T56 6speed gen3 427 Ci Twn turbo

Comment

I have had two 99 Contours. Before I purchased them I was told to expect the plastic gears with the timing belt to fail at 40k.
                  Both of mine failed within 2k miles of that. About 600 each to have a local shop fix using the new metal gears and new belt.
                  Other than that they ran great got 29mpg and we loved them.
                  I have been told by other CNG owners that they have been told to avoid the Contours. But we drove ours for a few years and loved them other than the timing belts failing when the plastic gears broke.

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time or money buying any of the junk vehicles that are sold on ebay. I have bought 2 vehicles there and neither came in the way they were promised. The people on the east coast generally don't know anything about them, and will tell you anything to make a buck. Right now I have a F150 that won't even run on CNG. The other was a Contour that needed the regulator and the compuvalve replaced. The two parts cost more than I paid for the car. If you are considering buying a CNG from ebay be prepared for a repair bill to go with your purchase.

Comment

I agree about buying a CNG vehicle sight unseen, whether on e-bay or any other site or auction. I have also purchased 2 from NY with extensive repairs needed to the CNG systems or other mechanicals. Not at all what the vehicles were made out to be. The sellers are operators trying to make a buck without concern for the expenses incurred by out-of-state buyers, Beware!

Comment

I know what you mean. I bought an F-150 last month off Craigslist in California Bay Area. I went out and purchased it. At the time, the CNG wasn't working because I thought it was out of CNG and there wasn't any in the area. However, after I got it home, it turns out the CNG system isn't working. The gal I bought it from had it working at one time, she thought. But she knew very little about vehicles and had inherited the truck from an ex-boyfriend.
                        It is a nice truck and I love it, even thought the CNG doesn't work. Why? Because it is bi-fuel and I bought it cheap enough that it was a good deal just for a regular old gas truck.
                        Assume the worst, and buy accordingly??
                        Probably doesn't make sense, just my experience

Good Luck,

Max

Comment

Working...
                        X