Please settle a bet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please settle a bet!

Hello. My wife loves my Crown Vic CNG car so much she wants one for herself. And it just happened my friend Larry got at auction a '96 Crown Vic with 42,000 miles. Very pretty and nice according to his photos.

So Larry says this is a 3,600 lbs system car because it has a 3,600 lbs tank in the trunk.

I am concerned. As the photos show, it is a "GFI" systems car - presumably compuvalve. Well, according to the wisdom I received on the board it's my understanding that a '96 Ford factory car would be 3,000 lbs. I have a Phill so a 3,000 lbs car isn't what we want.

So, gurus, should this car be a 3,000 or 3,600 lbs car?

I am including some shots.

Re: Please settle a bet!

Check on the filling nozzle, it usually has a sticker with the PSI.
    BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Older CVs are 3000, newer ones are 3600. You didn't say what year.

I would feel safe regularly filling 3000 tanks to 3600, especially with slow fill like Phill. They only have 3300 at Utah stations so all 3000 tanks there are regularly overfilled. The problem is the standard Phill nozzle won't fit on a 3000 system.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

This Crown Vic has a 3600 psi system.
        Fueling recepticle will be stamped P36

Comment

The car is a 1996. Really clean, which is why it's so tempting.

Comment

The tanks indicate that it is a 3600 psig system. As previously stated, if it has the P36 on the fueling connection, it will accept EITHER the 3000 or the 3600 psig connector. If it has P30, or the tanks were listed with 3000 psig tanks properly, you can only connect a 3000 psig connector. They look identical on the outside, the internal depth is different between the two.

Many people replaced early 3000 connectors with 3600 psig, so it pays to verify the tank pressure.

As for the Crown, my personal concern, if it were my purchase, would be the GFI system.

Franz

Comment

If a 3600 psi filler fits on the nozzle, it should be a 3600 psi system. As far as I know, Ford only made dedicated CNG Crown Vics, which were 3000 psi. This one has an aftermarket system, which is 3600.
              www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

You have some good answers. Ford did not use Lincoln as part of a factory install. in '96 it was probably a Press Steel tank for a factory unit (maybe Lucas). Check the pressure rating on each tank and on the fill nozzel. If they are all the same you're good. If not go with the lowest pressure and make sure the fill nozzel is rated at that pressure. Don't take a chance pushing 3000 psi cylinders with a slow fill 3600. 3750 psi is the 125% point at which the cylinder is overpressureized and should be removed from service (NGV-2, CGA 6.4 and NFPA -52)

Check carefully and safely

Larrycng

Comment

That appears to be an after market conversion not a Ford factory conversion.

Comment

In the picture that shows the GFI Compuvalve, what is the bottle in the top right of the picture?
                    Jared.
                    Mountain Green, Utah
                    2003 CNG Cavalier
                    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Heck if I know. I can give you the e-mail of the owner of the car, but I suspect that he doesn't know either. I've never actually seen the vehicle.

Darn, wish it didn't have the compuvalve. I'd buy it without a doubt.

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
                      In the picture that shows the GFI Compuvalve, what is the bottle in the top right of the picture?

Comment

My $0.02... This is clearly a newer 3600psi (lincoln Comp) tank so you're ok for 3600 there. Next, the lines... If you can trace all lines and they are stainless, solid lines, you are ok there. If you have flex lines ANYWHERE, they should be labled (3000, 3600, 5000 or 10000) The only other concern is the High Pressure Regulator. It should have a sticker on it. If it is rated at 3600, you're good to fill to 3600 as long as the phil connector connects. Since most AFV lines are WAY over-kill, your HPR will be the key to your answer... Do NOT fill to 3600 if the HPR is rated at 3K

Ken
                        Last edited by mrpsycho1; 10-14-2008, 08:26 PM.
                        03 Chevy Avalanche, 10 GGE tank, ECO negative pressure Regulator and Omnitek Closed Loop System. Range: 130 city / 140 hwy.

Comment

The "Bottle" is a filter, mounted between the high pressure regulator and the Compuvalve. It is USUALLY rated at 10 micron. It is not a coalescing filter (designed to trap oils) but a particulate filter. The insides are probably pleated paper.

Franz

Comment

Working...
                          X