repair work knocks CNG offline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repair work knocks CNG offline

Seems everytime I have work done on my Ford Contour (timing belt, new brakes, whatever) the natural gas system stops working. I take it to the shop driving on CNG, and pick it up with problems. Sometimes it is fuses, sometimes disconnecting the battery seems to be the problem. I have to take it to the dealership to have it "reset". My last repair from Ford showed "replace VCL and reset". Any ideas what exactly this means? I'm stuck running on regular fuel with the dashboard switch flashing green. Two days ago it was working fine. BTW, I have replaced the compuvalve. How long do they generally last?

Re: repair work knocks CNG offline

The VCL is a little black box that sits on the floor just to the right of the gas peddle. It has a large harness on the one end. It is about 4" X 8" and 2" thick. It only takes 10 minutes to change the box but you must have the battery disconnected for a minute or so before disconnecting any wiring for this and other computers in the car. I have a spare used one if you want a used part.

Comment

Re: repair work knocks CNG offline

Thanks for the info on the VCL. I'm not sure if I need another one. This was replaced in Jan of this year. What about the 'reset' part of the question? Any ideas what that may involve? This is what the repair bill from Champion Ford for last January says. I don't know if it was just bad timing or having more work done on the car that made the CNG system stop working.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X