Help w/ Compuvalves and Contour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ Compuvalves and Contour

Any tips or pointers on compuvalves and 1997 Ford Contour? Mine is at a Ford dealership who is trying to figure out why it is idling extremely rough and misfiring on CNG. I had them replace the hotter plugs with standard ones. They thought it might be the compuvalve. Having heard about the compuvalve problems AFTER buying a contour, I had fortunately just purchased one. When the dealer put it in, however, it continued to run on CNG only now it misfires and idles worse. Anyone have any ideas of what to have them check or anyone I can take it to? This dealership says they only have diagnostic equipment for newer CNG cars. It shouldn't make a diffirence, but it has new timing and serpentine belts, a new radiator and new standard spark plugs.

Re: Help w/ Compuvalves and Contour

They should still have an NGS around the shop if they are a real Ford Dealer. They will need the green Card to access the GFI part of the system. The NGS was part of the required factory tools that the dealer is required to buy. Try Hickock test equipment or call AES (Automotive Electronic Services) in Fresno. AESwave.com on the net. Ask for Carlos, he can help you get the card if your interested -- they're good people and sharp.

Larrycng

Comment

I would check for a vacuum leak with some carburetor cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
        They should still have an NGS around the shop if they are a real Ford Dealer. They will need the green Card to access the GFI part of the system. The NGS was part of the required factory tools that the dealer is required to buy. Try Hickock test equipment or call AES (Automotive Electronic Services) in Fresno. AESwave.com on the net. Ask for Carlos, he can help you get the card if your interested -- they're good people and sharp.

Larrycng
        I was able to access the compuvalve on a bifuel f150 using the Ford IDS scan tool. (it called it AFCM or something like that). I dont know if it works on the contour as well but it is worth a try. All Ford dealers should have a IDS

Comment

Thanks Larry, Ashton Motors, and Karl!
          I have to commute 120 miles round trip from Vegas where I teach High School at to Logandale, Nevada so I can live near my kids. It's nice to know I have help with my efforts to save on fuel costs. Just wish I had done more research on the track record of the Contour before I jumped into a CNG vehicle. I'm still hopeful, however, in the economy and future of CNG vehicles. In the meantime, I'm going to forward the info to the dealership that has my car right now and see what they come up with. MARK

Comment

We have a 99 bi-fuel contour in the shop today. I hooked up my IDS to it to see if it would scan the compuvalve. It would NOT. I guess it is kind of hit and miss which models the ids will talk to.

Comment

Working...
            X