Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any UT After-Hours Utah CNG Mechanics Willing To Barter Airline Tickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any UT After-Hours Utah CNG Mechanics Willing To Barter Airline Tickets?

I work for an airline and I have a pair of tickets that can be used to fly to the east coast or even the Caribbean. I hear Aruba is nice in the winter!!

I took my 1999 F250 to Champion Ford and changed out the compuvalve. It now runs on CNG but they said it had a misfire in a cylinder and idles rough. I honestly didn't notice it, but they said I need to have all my seals replaced and my coils checked (COP Stress Test). Then I need spark plugs and such checked/replaced. They quoted $1100 ($200 parts, $900 labor). Are there any mechanics that know how to do this that want to trade the labor for airline tickets?

These are not standby tickets. They are confirmed seats (like a frequent flier ticket). Let me know.

Chad

Re: Any UT After-Hours Utah CNG Mechanics Willing To Barter Airline Tickets?

Airliner,

How many miles on your F250? Does your truck misfire under load (low rpm/high torque) like when your going up a hill just before the transmission shifts out of overdrive?

The coil packs are a common problem on the 5.4l ford and they are especially vulnerable to water (have you pressure washed your engine?). They will cause the motor to misfire under load.

8 coil packs for the Ford motors can be had on ebay for about $220. Get the Accell and not the generic Chinese ones.

I replaced all 8 on my truck and it ran like new.

Greg

Comment

My F250 has almost 200K miles on it. She runs really well on gas. With the new compuvalve it runs alright on CNG, but it idles rough. Also, when I'm driving at full speed it feels like it's slightly off. Not terrible, but almost like a faint sputter. I'm not sure how to describe it. Champion Ford suggested I change out all the seals and spark plugs and check the coil packs. I have heard though that this is not an easy task. I'm not terribly mechanically inclined so I was trying to get some help. I have a brother in law that is a mechanic. Are these things that can be done by someone with mechanical background or does it need to be done my a CNG mechanic?

Comment

After I had my compuvalve changed, the truck ran rough for a while. It had a terrible shutter around 60 mph, which I guessed may have been the torque converter or the overdrive. When I turned off the overdrive, the problem went away. I also noticed when I would just speed up or let off the problem would go away also. My son who has a 2000 CNG F150 said just keep driving
        and it will clear up. I didn't believe it, but it did. He said something about the computer having to relearn the system, assuming after the compuvalve was changed. The rough idle cleared up, too. It took about a month. Didn't and still doesn't make sense, but it's running great now. It seems the more ai drive it the better it runs. That doesn't mean your will be the same.
        Good Luck
        Max

Comment

Wow, that's interesting. I am driving it on the CNG now and have been for a week. I don't think it has gotten any worse but I am keeping an eye on it. I certainly hope it actually gets better! I think I'l still going to try to take care of the seals and coils at some point, but maybe not rush it. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Coil packs are not too bad to replace. The pax right rear is the worst. I had a dedicated one with this problem and it missed under load at low rpm. If you took the overdrive off the rpm went up and the miss went away. Replacing the coil packs fixed this problem.

You'll need a 1/4" driver, extension with wobble or a u-joint, and an 8mm socket. Take the coils out one at a time, blow out the coil pack hole, grease the new coil with dielectric grease and reinstall being careful not to tighten too tight or drop the screw. Also, take off the injector connector to mske it easy.

My son and I did our Crown Vic in about 45 minutes

Good luck.

Greg

Comment

I am seeing these on ebay and the prices for the 8 coil packs don't seem bat $109 + $10 shipping (minus 20% using live.com). That puts me just under $100 shipped. Are these the right ones? The vehicle list shows it would work for my 99 F250 bi-fuel. Others have said they were going for $200 on ebay so should I be looking for a different kind?

ebay link

Comment

Call Lance or Justin @ Lancer Auto 801-268-8863 one them will hook you up!
                They can at least give you some advice.
                Lancer Automotive Group
                3687 South 300 West
                Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

http://lancerautogroup.com

Visit our Facebook pages
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lance...68469439838785

https://www.facebook.com/alternativefuelcenter?ref=hl

Comment

Originally posted by badaceds650 View Post
                  any body that has a good mechanical ability and willingness to tear into it can work on a cng vehicle just take your time
                  badaceds,

CNG systems are totally different than your typical gasoline systems. We are dealing with a compressed flammable gas here! I recommend that only a certified CNG mechanic work on a CNG system. I know that there are people out there that have a lot of years under their belt working on cars and gasoline systems, but these CNG systems are not to be underestimated. Under the hood of all CNG F150s, CNG Contours, CNG Cavaliers, etc. there should be sticker that states that when working on any CNG component, the work should be done by a certified CNG mechanic.
                  Jared.
                  Mountain Green, Utah
                  2003 CNG Cavalier
                  2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

We currently have two certified CNG tech in our shop. We are currently install EPA certified conversion on Ford F250-F350 with 5.4 and soon adding F-150 and Focus.
                    Lancer Automotive Group
                    3687 South 300 West
                    Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

Visit our Facebook pages

Comment

So what would you charge to have your mechanics change all my seals, plugs and coils?

Comment

Call Lance he is the owner, he would work out something with the tickets.
                        Lancer Automotive Group
                        3687 South 300 West
                        Salt Lake City UT 84115

801-268-8863

Visit our Facebook pages

Comment

Just my experience, and from what many others have posted on f150 and Ford chat sites, don't risk getting the ACCEL or any other non-oem coil packs. They have poor track records in Ford vehicles. Spend a bit extra to have the motorcraft coil packs and piece of mind that you won't have to change them again any time soon. They last a lot longer and most times aren't the problem in these CNG bifuel vehicles. Usually it's the plugs and injector o-rings. The issue is access and just changing them when the system is all apart for other service.

Comment

Working...
                          X