won't start on cng after running on cng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• won't start on cng after running on cng

I have a 99' F250 dual fuel. Not all the time , but some times my truck will not start on CNG after running on CNG. For example, if I am running around town stopping and starting I might have to switch to gasoline because it won't start on CNG. Actually it starts, but then dies out right befor I put it in gear or shortly after. The problem does not seem to be related to engine temp., outside temp of weather conditions, or how much fuel is in the CNG.

Anyone have any ideas??

Jefstr

Re: won't start on cng after running on cng

Originally posted by jefstr View Post
    Actually it starts, but then dies out right befor I put it in gear or shortly after. The problem does not seem to be related to engine temp., outside temp of weather conditions, or how much fuel is in the CNG.
    Sounds similar to my daughter's '00 F150 bi-fuel; except you've not seen an engine temperature correlation. The specific behavior in her case was that it would start and run on CNG just fine first thing in the morning, but wouldn't re-start in CNG immediatley or even later in the day. Eventually this "running fine" would last less and less where the engine would switch over to gas after a shorter time; first twenty minutes or more of CNG running time, then less.

The diagnosis was high pressure regulator failure. Since these run well over a grand and she now only has a 5 minute commute to work, the part has not yet been replaced... getting parts for these vehicles isn't cheap or easy. I hope your issue is something easier. Gene
    2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
    Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
    Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
    Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Re: won't start on cng after running on cng

Sounds kinda like what happened with my Ranger. But my HPR was leaking. I took it apart and cleaned it real good and now it works fine. I'll need to buy a rebuild kit from sno-motion eventually but not for a while. Hope this helps.
      You can do anything except light a paper match, on a marshmellow, underwater!

R.I.P. Taylor and Chris

Comment

cheaper alternative to Ford regulators

There is a much cheaper way to repair your Ford if the regulator goes out. We can install an after market regulator with a separate pressure transducer for half the price.

Comment

Re: cheaper alternative to Ford regulators

Originally posted by ashtonmotors View Post
          There is a much cheaper way to repair your Ford if the regulator goes out. We can install an after market regulator with a separate pressure transducer for half the price.
          I'm interested in specifics for a 2000 F-150... I was told by another CNG shop that this may be possible when I first balked at the $1000+ part cost (and no warranty) for a replacement OEM regualtor. Later, they said "it can't be done."
          2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
          Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
          Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
          Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Working...
          X