This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Westport WING F-150) Fuel Gauge Reads empty

I recently purchased a 2013 F250 with duel fuel.(Westport Wing System) I bought it from a friend who had driven since new. The truck sat for 3 months before I purchased, and the CNG tank was empty when parked. The system worked before it was parked, I know because I test drove. I filled up with CNG and the CNG fuel gauge reads empty. The shutoff valve on the tank is open. I am guessing a communication problem or a filter problem? The truck is equipped with a toggle switch that can turn the CNG on and off. Could a short in the switch cause this?

Thank you very much.

I am not familiar with the Westport Wing System but the multitude of CNG vehicles I've owned over the years would seem to point to the high pressure part of the system either not getting fuel or the sensor for reading high pressure is either not working or has a wring issue. I'd measure the fuel pressure if possible and if this looks good then see what kind of signal you are getting from the pressure sensor. When you say the shutoff valve on tank is open - how do you know or is it a manual valve? The GFI electronic valves tend to stick if not used for a long time...

Comment

I also just purchased a 2013 f250 with the Westport wing system. After fueling the tank that was completely empty I turned the ignition and it started leaking fuel but after about 3 seconds it sounded like it stopped but the gauge doesn't read anything except for a few seconds after turning the key on. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Comment

SoCal7700 - I'm assuming you looked, listened, and smelled around for where the leak was coming from. Sounds like the system may be detecting a problem and shutting off the fuel supply. As stated earlier, I am not familiar with the Westport Wing system but a leak may be detected as a problem and the system may be shutting off for this reason. I see they maintain a web site, might want to call them directly because it may be a common thing that they could provide information on. I know some of the fulmination type systems in the past would prime the intake prior to start.

Comment

I have the same truck with the same issue and occasionally get a check engine light with a MIL Code of P0462.
          Other people I know who have this conversion also have fuel gauge issues.
          I contacted Westport Dallas and got the following information concerning the AFD Module and fuel gauge reading errors:

The P0462 MIL code does indicate that there is a problem with the fuel level sensor circuits. In our case, this includes the Ford Fuel Gauge in the instrument cluster, the AFD or Fuel Gauge Driver Module located in the engine bay, the CNG Tank Pressure Sensor that’s threaded into the CNG Pressure Regulator and the wiring that connects all of these components. I have never seen the Ford Fuel Gauge cause the problem that you’re having . I’ve attached diagnostic instructions and the wiring schematic for your truck. You’ll need to perform these tests while the fault is occurring, otherwise, all of the tests will pass. The most likely cause of the problem is the AFD Module but I would want to prove that out by performing the diagnostic testing.

Normally, you don’t want to run the CNG system down below 400-500 PSI because once you move under 400 PSI, you’re getting close to the point where the regulator will not be able to supply the engine with adequate fuel volume and the engine will not have enough power to move the vehicle or it will stall completely and not restart. I hope this helps.

AFD System Testing and Diagnosis

The AFD System includes the AFD Module, CNG Tank Pressure Sensor, OEM Fuel Gauge and circuits. Approximately 6 volts will flow from the Ford Fuel Gauge in the Instrument Cluster to the AFD Module. The AFD Module will vary the resistance that this 6 volts passes through just as the OEM Gasoline Tank Sending Unit would do. The AFD Module calculates how much resistance is applied to the Fuel Gauge circuit based on a voltage signal that it receives from the CNG Tank Pressure Sensor. This is a 3-wire sensor that is threaded into the CNG Pressure Regulator. The sensor circuits are as follows : Pin 1 – Sensor Ground, Pin 2 – Sensor Signal, Pin 3 – 5 volt reference. To test the Pressure Sensor operation, first disconnect the sensor connector and turn the ignition on. Next, use a DVOM to verify the Reference Voltage at Pin 3 of the connector. You should measure 5 volts. If you don’t measure any voltage on Pin 3 then next, check for battery power at Pin 1 of the AFD Module. If no power is found there then locate the Vapor Management Valve on the Intake Manifold. You’ll find that we have a Tee Harness connected to this valve which we are using to tap into the switched ignition power for the VMV Valve. This Tee Harness will have one wire with a one pin connector that will connect to the wire coming from Pin 1 of the AFD Module. If you don’t have a voltage supply problem then reconnect the sensor connector and back probe Pin 2. You will also need to look at the Manual Tank Pressure Gauge that is located under the vehicle. Make a note of the tank pressure. With a full charge of CNG (3600-4000 PSI) you should see approximately 4.8 volts at Pin 2 of the sensor. 1800-2000 PSI should produce a voltage reading of approximately 2.4 volts. A low tank pressure reading of 500-800 PSI should give you a reading of around .3-.5 volt. You’ll need to perform these tests when the Fuel Gauge is malfunctioning. If the signal voltage from the Pressure Sensor Pin 2 does not agree with the actual CNG Tank Pressure Manual Gauge reading then you’ll need to replace the Pressure Sensor. If the Pressure Sensor tests good then the AFD Module is the most likely cause of the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X