Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225hp CNG f150 vs 380hp gas!!??

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....d=14&myid=5059

Is this why the CNG f-150's seem a bit gutless? This is much more power loss than the 10% loss you tend to get on a conversion. Does anyone know anything about this or anything about power differences between these 2 engines?

I hope this is wrong as I hope my new f150 (I don't have it yet) will be every bit as good as my current chevy truck, I don't want to keep them both just to have something that can pull a trailer.

Thanks
    2000 Escalade (option 3 conversion) FOR SALE
    2004 F150 XLT (OEM conversion)
    2000 Camry (Awesome Car!!)

Re: 225hp CNG f150 vs 380hp gas!!??

How much of a trailer ? #1000 jet ski trailer ? 26 foot toy hauller fully loaded ? .

My old dedicated cng crown vic was 175 hp from a 4.6 v-8. it was plenty adequate for a 4400 # car , but I never pulled with it.

My daily driver is a civic gx, but I still keep an old mule in the barn ,(87 gmc heavy half) for towing .

I think BAF technology is , or will soon doing doing new F150 cng upfitting , sold by ford dealers.
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 04-20-2008, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Ill bet the 380hp is the Lightning model- equipped with a supercharger. I have a bifuel 5.4L engine and a difference between fuels exists, but barely noticeable.

Comment

The main thing your gonna find between the CNG and the gasoline version is that CNG has fewer BTU's so it burns cooler and with less explosive force. The nice thing with the f-150's is next to all of them are bi-fuel. So if you need the towing power you can flip a switch and you've got gasoline.
        You can do anything except light a paper match, on a marshmellow, underwater!

R.I.P. Taylor and Chris

Comment

I have a 20' camper trailer and I put my motorbikes in the bed. I know that the f150's with dual fuel feel about the same on CNG or gas, but I was wondering if the whole engine is setup with less power compared to the regular gas only engine. I've driven a cng f150 on a road trip with a friend to St. George and it felt good, but it did slow down on some hills and we only had bikes in the back, no trailer. I'm hoping for the best, thanks for the input guys!!

Comment

So are you getting the heritage edition?

Comment

I currently tow with a 1500 chevy 5.3L and it does just fine. I don't have to scream up the hills, I'll actually be fine with 45mph up Spanish Fork canyon if I can do it with CNG, the savings are worth it!!

holman,
              first, answer your phone, second, yes it's a heritage, they never made a CNG with the new body style, I wish....

Comment

Working...
              X