Switching between fuels on a F-150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching between fuels on a F-150

Hi, I just picked up a 2004 F-150 with a factory conversion. I currently have a 2000 escalade with an eco conversion and have been very happy with it. On my escalade I can switch between gas and CNG anytime I want with no real issues with the engine (no clunking or lagging) Can this be done on a F-150? The reason I ask (I don't have the new ford yet, it's in CA) is I want it to replace my current chevy, which I use to tow my 22' camper trailer and 3 motorcycles, I don't know if the CNG will have enough power for this and I assume there is more power running on regular gas? Is this even the case? My escalade has quite a bit more power on gas, and it's nice for that really steep hill while towing.
    2000 Escalade (option 3 conversion) FOR SALE
    2004 F150 XLT (OEM conversion)
    2000 Camry (Awesome Car!!)

Re: Switching between fuels on a F-150

Hi, nice to hear you got a truck. I think you're the guy that I met in St George (I have an f150 ext cab 4x4 with shell) and I ran in to you the other night at the Orem station. Sorry I was holding you up when I was talking with the other CNG Ford guy there (man was that pump pressure low!). Anyway, my 2001 truck doesn't allow switching between fuel when driving. The only way to switch is with the truck turned off then back on again. I would imagine your new truck will be the same. I think this is a safety feature to avoid overfueling the cylinders with both fuels at once. Probably more of a problem going from CNG to gas than the other way around. This may not be the reason, but some systems that did/do allow switching while running would trigger rich fuel codes.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought, I'll have to see if I can deal with it. Hopefully it will have enough power for pulling and it will not be an issue.

yes, that psi was low, I got the last fill, the next guy didn't get anything, I only got 4gge, I hope the upgrade to that station will fix that!!

Comment

I figured it out. Just put the truck in neutral while driving, turn the key off, switch the fuel, then start it back up!! Works perfect, doesn't take too long either...

Comment

Working...
        X