Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True capacity Dodge van 2002 4 tanks-ran out

Hey all,
    been driving my Dodge Van for 3 months now 130 miles per day on the highway 70 miles an hour. I get about 15 miles per gallon (gasoline equal). Capacity is 18.7 Gas equal. I finally ran it down to empty this morning where I needed a tow (220 miles on the odo) as it would idle but not accelerate. The fill up was only 14.7 on a 68 degree day. I always thought the gauge was wrong but I have never been able to get anything more than about 14 gals in it. What am I missing? All tank valves appear to be open.

Re: True capacity Dodge van 2002 4 tanks-ran out

techcote,

Couple questions:

1. Are you slow filling or fast filling?
    2. Are you filling with a 3,000 psi nozzle or 3,600 psi nozzle?
    3. If fast filling, what was the "% fill"?

If you are fast filling you can estimate about a 10 - 15% reduction in the amount of fuel versus a slow fill. If you are only filling to 3,000 psi instead of 3,600 psi then you can estimate another 10 - 15% reduction.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Fast fill capacities are always less than tank ratings. Today I filled my GX on empty, one bar left, fuel light on after almost 200 miles, 89 degrees out. I got 5.35 gge, pressure left in tank was 800 and filled to 3700.
      BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Was the fuel gauge bottomed out? If your van uses the same high pressure regulator as the older models (GFI), you may not have been as low on fuel as you thought. My Dodges, when they have run completely out of fuel have only coughed and sputtered for about 20 seconds before going completely dead. They won't idle. However, I experience the problem you describe on a cold start when fuel level is low.

It seems that when the fuel gauge is showing a quarter-tank or less, the pressure regulator needs to have the warm coolant flowing through it before it will operate properly. So I let it idle for 10 minutes or so, then it's able to drive away normally (or sometimes needs to be shut off for a couple of minutes first to soak in the heat). I understand the cooling effect of a high pressure regulator, but I can't explain why it only happens at low tank pressure. But that's my experience. Now, a quarter tank or less isn't much, but it might be a couple of GGEs that you had left in the tank. Or if the fuel gauge was bottomed, you might have had just a few miles worth of fuel. Give it a try if you're ever that low again and starting cold.

Comment

Working...
        X